• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jay Stansfield

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tony but why take a risk that you don't need to take? Sliding could be part of a process that weakens the ligaments before they actually go!
If there was any evidence or even anecdotal hearsay I would agree with you but given there appears to be no risk I can't agree. If we stopped doing anything that involved the potential for a risk however small no sport would ever take place!

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
As one who has had a knee replacement after playing 25 years of football I would be very wary of sliding. It would certainly have an effect on the cartilages ......I know as I've worn mine totally away.

kuznetsov

I have never heard of a single player in any game (happy to stand corrected) ever injured by a knee slide so unsure why our Manager or any other would try to stop the most natural of celebrations
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Injured during that CL final celebration. I am amazed how many players do it.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sl
I can't help but feeling that this modern day practice of sliding on your knees as part of a goal celebration is simply asking for trouble as far as knee injuries are concerned. I'm surprised GC allows it to be done.
Slightly off topic, but I'm just a bit bored of the knee-slide towards the camera celebration. Oh for something a bit more original!

How about sumthin' like this when we score against Argyle?! ;-)

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sl

Slightly off topic, but I'm just a bit bored of the knee-slide towards the camera celebration. Oh for something a bit more original!

How about sumthin' like this when we score against Argyle?! ;-)
I like a good African dance celebration, always completely joyous.

LDNGrecian

I have never heard of a single player in any game (happy to stand corrected) ever injured by a knee slide so unsure why our Manager or any other would try to stop the most natural of celebrations
Happened this season

Radio Free Skaro

I think getting your studs caught in the turf when trying to quickly change direction is a far bigger cause.
Is the condition of the pitch a factor?

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is the condition of the pitch a factor?
It can be sometimes if it's a thick, lush surface but not always. Most professional pitches are cut very short these days. Most of those kinds of injuries are freak occurrences.

sidney

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Injured during that CL final celebration. I am amazed how many players do it.
My traditional response has always been to offer a quiet modest handshake to whoever has provided the assist.

jase 07

Whether out of your control or not, it is a much higher occurrence of serious knee injury than sliding on your knees across a slick pitch. It is how Kyle Taylor got injured last season, and now possibly Stanno. Getting your studs caught causing lateral movement in the knee.

How many knee slides have we seen this season resulting in injury? It is pretty much the most popular single goal celebration in the squad. If you were worried about friction burns that would be different. As far as injury risk to goal celebrations goes, Randell Williams style acrobatics is much higher as is the massive pile on. That's not to mention being hoisted onto Tony Adams' shoulders.

All I am pointing out, as evidenced, is that risk of serious injury caused by knee sliding in goal celebrations = minimal. Enjoyment factor for player celebrating (mostly big kids at heart) = high.
I think Sir Alex Ferguson tried to ban Nani from doing his backflip goal celebration, not sure if he did stop it though