• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

January Window - What do we need - Buy or Loan

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Our relatively poor run since Jokull left I don't think is a coincidence.
During that time Joel Randall goals have dried up as well.

Bowman has stepped up a few times however we all know he can have very lean spells, if you lose the goals Randall was scoring and Bowman runs dry again it will be an issue.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I hope we don't upset the balance of the side too much. The nucleus of the squad is excellent and if someone has classy as Nicky Law is only a bit part, then something is good. Some targeted strengthening for options at CF and CB would be amazing. It is clear that Fisher and Ajose need to move on, it just hasn't worked. Question is how!

Personally I'd prefer to see Ward back between the sticks. Our relatively poor run since Jokull left I don't think is a coincidence.
Maybe you need to look at who is in goal rather who isn't.
As regards to who might be going and it being a hard way to motivate players, it's just the harsh realities of life at the moment. Clubs simply do not have the money to throw away at our level. The likes of Ajose, Fisher and Nicky Law really do need to be playing regularly at their ages. Law would probably walk straight into another club because he has that special something about him. It hasn't really worked out for Fisher here and you'd only take Ajose if you dug deep into when he's actually played whilst he's been here as his goals to games ratio is very good, however his availability for whatever reason has been very poor, so he's a gamble. One that we took and it hasn't worked overall.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
As regards to who might be going and it being a hard way to motivate players, it's just the harsh realities of life at the moment. Clubs simply do not have the money to throw away at our level. The likes of Ajose, Fisher and Nicky Law really do need to be playing regularly at their ages. Law would probably walk straight into another club because he has that special something about him. It hasn't really worked out for Fisher here and you'd only take Ajose if you dug deep into when he's actually played whilst he's been here as his goals to games ratio is very good, however his availability for whatever reason has been very poor, so he's a gamble. One that we took and it hasn't worked overall.
Agree Ian. I'd be very upset if Nicky Law left. He really brings something, and now just can't cope with 180 minutes a week that we will likely have for a while, or no game for 3 weeks! His performance at Gillingham was class and he can fit in to 3 or 4 positions. Ajose as you say was a gamble that hasn't worked.

The deluder

I have to say that going through n his past record Indo not trust Matt Taylor to spend any budget wisely.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Law is a class act at this level, I'd be gutted if he left however given his lack of game time other league 2 managers would be stupid not to make an enquiry.

malcolms

I still think we lack the contacts to spot the players with potential who are not with clubs in the M4 corridor...This has been a weakness since PT's early days and nothing really suggests that we have addressed it in any meaningful way.

Red Devon

I still think we lack the contacts to spot the players with potential who are not with clubs in the M4 corridor...This has been a weakness since PT's early days and nothing really suggests that we have addressed it in any meaningful way.
The transfer window hasn’t suddenly sprung up on us though, if Matt Taylor is seriously looking to strengthen the centre half position he’d have been looking at targets for getting on three months now.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Totally agree, it's something which needs to improve, we need to bring more players to the club who are first team squad ready but also viewed as longer term investments.

The club is doing a lot of things right however this is one area that hasn't developed.

The players are out there, you only have to look at what Watters has done at Crawley.

Last edited:

malcolms

Totally agree, it's something which needs to improve, we need to bring more players to the club who are viewed as longer term investments.

The club is doing a lot of things right however this is one area that is lacking.
The counter argument and one I'm sure will be used is that any players who are brought in might delay the development of our own academy players. In reality, if we have 2 or 3 players at any one time that are better than average Division 2 players then that would be regarded as a result..If we are looking to improve we need to increase the quality that we have and that may mean spreading our net wider.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ben House, currently at Eastleigh is a player I'd be keeping tabs on.