• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jamal Blackman

Leads

Interesting. I wonder what we were paying him, perhaps our top salary?

I wonder also whether the "different type" comment means someone who is better at playing out, or someone more vocal? If the former, that worries me. Top PL keepers like Ederson may be good footballers as well as amazing shot-stoppers, but in L1 I'd rather have someone who focuses mainly on not letting the ball into our net.
I heard that he was on 5k per week, but this was only from a second hand source. I'd have thought it was closer to 4k.

He did seem very quiet for a keeper.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I heard that he was on 5k per week, but this was only from a second hand source. I'd have thought it was closer to 4k.

He did seem very quiet for a keeper.
I'm lead to believe it's around 4k.

When we signed him we were desperate for a keeper and I think we essentially gave him 2 years worth of money for one season!

I never thought I'd see the day where we would have a player on our books earning 4k a week.

Grecianman135

I'm lead to believe it's around 4k.

When we signed him we were desperate for a keeper and I think we essentially gave him 2 years worth of money for one season!

I never thought I'd see the day where we would have a player on our books earning 4k a week.
And one average at best too

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is probably the right answer. Let's face it, when their is only one box left on the shelf it's always a "sellers market".

Number13

He was our top earner because we got desperate just before the start of last season (if we'd have got him in earlier, he'd have saved the goal at Lincoln tbf) and had to bring someone in but he had to go now as even £4k is just to much as a % of our budget. I think he and we always knew it was one year. He didnt let us down but nor did he really cover himself in glory as our top earner with a reputation should have

Then, when I first read the article I too thought, he means someone to play out but I not sure now. Surely then he'd have said different type of "player" not "personality". I think he means all the things referenced above; hes too quiet, too laid back, not dominating enough for someone of his size, etc etc

I expect us to get a new GK more in the GC mould to be No1 who will be a good earner but not the top boy. If I was him I'd follow the Cam model and try and find out who the No2 GKs are at Championship / Top L1 clubs who should be playing and get one of them

Agent Andy

Probably why Lee never got a look in at the end of the season , can’t drop or rest someone on 4K a week for someone on £300 quid , . Let’s face it a decent league one keeper is gonna be on 4K-6k a week . So why have 3 keepers on less if they’re not up to standard .

robchave

It is always going to be the case that ECFC will not be able to afford established players, at the top of their game. So it'll be new talent on the way up; old talent on the way down; or, players with talent, who's career has stalled for some reason or other. Blackman was in the third category and, in my opinion, was pretty good, but not great.

With Lee not quite ready, I wonder what category we'll go for this coming season?

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
It is always going to be the case that ECFC will not be able to afford established players, at the top of their game. So it'll be new talent on the way up; old talent on the way down; or, players with talent, who's career has stalled for some reason or other. Blackman was in the third category and, in my opinion, was pretty good, but not great.

With Lee not quite ready, I wonder what category we'll go for this coming season?
Agree about Blackman personally I thought he did a more than decent job for the team my only concern was the risks he occasionally took with his attempted Cryff turns when playing the ball out of defence.

tom_ecfc

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Are they going to announce a left sided defender/coach in a couple of days?