• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Interview with academy coach Kevin Nicholson

Kingsman

I've been following City for over 60 years and when they weren't playing at home would often watch Torquay, Truro even Frome. I'll just say that KN would not be my choice, but he talks a good game.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
When MT got the job he promised us running, attacking football, and after a couple of seasons we got it and it is beautiful, especially after years of square passing defensive football.
Perhaps we should hear what candidates want to do for us before making a choice, nobody is guaranteed to bring success.
But if a manager wants to carry on with what MT was building he'll have my backing. Top half of league 1 and playing great football, that's what I've always dreamed of, we really shouldn't expect more.

Grecian Max

When MT got the job he promised us running, attacking football, and after a couple of seasons we got it and it is beautiful, especially after years of square passing defensive football.
Perhaps we should hear what candidates want to do for us before making a choice, nobody is guaranteed to bring success.
In fairness to MT he got us playing very differently, very quickly. That opening day of the season 3-1 win with Nicky Law running the show was a breath of fresh air after the turgid stuff we'd had to put up with.

I agree, we await to hear from the chosen one and go from there - I actually have a hunch a name that hasn't been mentioned at all on any lists might crop up as the favourite. After all, Inglethorpe and Tisdale were basically unknowns. When both of them were introduced they had some intelligent things to say which marked them out as being different, more of the same please.

Bat Fastard

But if a manager wants to carry on with what MT was building he'll have my backing. Top half of league 1 and playing great football, that's what I've always dreamed of, we really shouldn't expect more.
if a tinpot outfit like yeovil can get up to the championship so can we. got a good feeling about this season...

Grecian Max

Max's dud one? :LOL:
Careful what you wish for Geoff!

STURTZ

if a tinpot outfit like yeovil can get up to the championship so can we. got a good feeling about this season...
I'd always temper comparisons with Yeovil with "and look where they are now!" Sustainabity is key to our continued success, over stretch ourselves and complete collapse is always a possibility. The reality is we are a club with (currently) about 6000 fans and our destiny is dictated by the money that we can generate from them (and the occasional player sale). This is the cloth that our new manager must be prepared to work with.

andrew p long

KN's time at Torquay was mixed - as well as the bad stuff, there was the 'Great Escape' and a time when he was nicknamed ' the Ranieri of the Riveira'!

geoffwp

Careful what you wish for Geoff!
Hey Max. All just a bit of fun mate. I shall just wait now until Taggy and his team have sorted it all out for us and get behind whoever the chalice is handed to.

Memphis09

Not at all - I was happy with the Taylor appointment as it was worth the gamble in League 2 under relatively low pressure following the toxic end to PT’s reign. Taylor’s standing within the club helped and he’d shown as a player he was a leader. It made a lot of sense. My gut feeling was positive - Nicholson not so much. We now have a much better side in a much more competitive division and this one feels a lot more important in choice to me.

I think it’s mad so many go for the comfort route. Hoping the board have some balls which I believe they do.
Yes I totally understand your points
But until we have a firm idea who has applied and who we interview it is all guess work
As long as we hopefully get the correct person I really don’t mind
At the moment tough KN must be favourite

Memphis09

Let's be honest, whoever we end up appointing will be a risk.

If we were to appoint Nicholson, or an applicant from outside, the risk will be virtually the same.

What I would not like to see, whatever the recruitment outcome is, would be an abandonment of our current emphasis on a pressing/attacking style. It is attractive to watch and I believe it is popular with our supporters, old and new.

The worse thing, imo, would be a return to the sideways and backwards style that was prevalent in the latter few years of a certain former manager's incumbency.
Spot on