• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Interview with academy coach Kevin Nicholson

Matt Russell

You have to keep developing systems, “just keep ticking along” isn’t how football works. Tisdale found this out to his detriment as his approach became stale over time. Fresh ideas are what breeds success in football. Taylor tweaked as he went - the formation we play now wasn’t how he started, wasn’t how we got the best out of Randell mid way through his stint either.
Isn't this a bit cart before horse?
Surely the type of players dictate whether the system is going to work. I thought you were particularly against square pegs in round holes.
With these players, the system works, with others it might not.

DJG.ECFC

You have to keep developing systems, “just keep ticking along” isn’t how football works. Tisdale found this out to his detriment as his approach became stale over time. Fresh ideas are what breeds success in football. Taylor tweaked as he went - the formation we play now wasn’t how he started, wasn’t how we got the best out of Randell mid way through his stint either.
Obviously whoever takes over will tweak it as we go along depending on circumstances regarding players etc. My point was that KN will follow the same mould that has been working for us recently rather than having a complete shake up from someone externally. We don’t need a shake up we just need someone to guide us in the direction we were already going in as it was working well. Were you dead set against MT taking over aswell in 2018 due to lack of managerial experience?

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Surely the type of players dictate whether the system is going to work. I thought you were particularly against square pegs in round holes.
There’s a transition period with any changeover - Matt eventually got the players he want to play the way he wanted. Obviously it’s going to take a bit of time and I’m fairly sure we have a lot out of contract in the summer so there’s going to have to be a switch up regardless…

Grecian Max

Is your suggestion we just go with a clone Matt Taylor and keep replacing with like for like forever? It’s quite a bizarre viewpoint

elginCity

As has been said, Barnsley's approach suited us just like FGR's did. A frustrating Gas or Cheltenham (L1) type game would be a better measure of KN's tactical acumen.

Grecian Max

Obviously whoever takes over will tweak it as we go along depending on circumstances regarding players etc. My point was that KN will follow the same mould that has been working for us recently rather than having a complete shake up from someone externally. We don’t need a shake up we just need someone to guide us in the direction we were already going in as it was working well. Were you dead set against MT taking over aswell in 2018 due to lack of managerial experience?
Not at all - I was happy with the Taylor appointment as it was worth the gamble in League 2 under relatively low pressure following the toxic end to PT’s reign. Taylor’s standing within the club helped and he’d shown as a player he was a leader. It made a lot of sense. My gut feeling was positive - Nicholson not so much. We now have a much better side in a much more competitive division and this one feels a lot more important in choice to me.

I think it’s mad so many go for the comfort route. Hoping the board have some balls which I believe they do.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would much rather the board took a month or so to find the right person to manage the club, knowing full well that on our day we can beat anyone in this league with our current crop of players. That's with a depleted defense.
Pasty, this sums it up well. We all all overjoyed with yesterday and KN with two wins has seen many of us getting over exciteable (understandably).However, to coin a phrase our (club) puppy is not just for Xmas but for ever. The last 20 years but notably the last 5 have seen us make real progress on and off the pitch. The current group looks more than good enough to stay up this season (injury crisis and January exodus aside) therefore any caretaker with the nous to largely keep things the same could look like the right appointment. For the record (like Max) if Kev is the right man he gets my 100% support. However, can he keep our momentum running which means we establish ourselves in our goal of being a sustainable League One club? What is KN's contacts book like in comparison to other candidates? Given we are a small club who cant go out and buy players the successful manager has to have a track record in recruitment and development of young players. For a club like ours finding non league gems alongside the development of our Academy products has to be the way forward given our lack of spending power. Therefore, Luke Gerrard or Andy Woodman might be better long term options? Equally Artell with his track record of developing Academy players? I like the option of Kev for continuity but Taggy will need to feel KN can maintain our clubs development not just keep us ticking along

iscalad

Its also possible of course that a manager will learn from his first appointment and will become a much better manager.
Look how awful Gerry Francis was for us, he did OK at other clubs.
Infraction points please, Mods.:oops:

Matt Russell

Is your suggestion we just go with a clone Matt Taylor and keep replacing with like for like forever? It’s quite a bizarre viewpoint
No, not forever, but yes, while it's working so well.
Evolution, not revolution.

Grecian Max

No, not forever, but yes, while it's working so well.
Evolution, not revolution.
So we tick along and/or go backwards then sack him? Matt’s appointment was internal and WAS revolution btw…

We have to think long term as a club, that’s how we’re successful in so many other areas. Sticking plaster would be against the ethos of the club, not for.