• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ifollow

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
I regret I still don't get it, though I realise I'm outnumbered and therefore probably out-thought too!

I'm not asking why League Two games *are not allowed* to be streamed on a particular Saturday, but why League Two games *are* allowed to be streamed at 3pm on certain Saturdays (which are international weekends). I'm not asking why streaming is a problem; I'm asking why it suddenly isn't.
It's a UEFA rule which allows games to be screened in international weekends. Andy Holt of Accrington complained about it a few seasons ago, to no avail.
I guess we will see in September what impact this has on attendance. I suspect not a lot, and in fact the club might actually do better with the extra income from streaming.

sign of the chimes

I'm outnumbered and therefore probably out-thought too!
I guarantee that if I'm involved the probability of that decreases significantly.

I suspect if it's a multi-dimensional thing.

The 'blackout' is an (optional) UEFA regulation. I presume it's there to enable national associations to ensure that their league structures remain strong, by stopping TV companies putting top-flight games on live at the traditional time when most domestic matches are played over a weekend.

I'd imagine UEFA don't think it's desirable to enforce the regulation when their associations are involved in international fixtures - particularly as that might undermine their own broadcast packages.

At this point the decision becomes one for the EFL to make. If the necessary majority of the 72 are in favour then, without the aforementioned legislation, those matches become available. I'd imagine plenty of owners think the impact is neglible, given the way that international weeks are now structured which seems to have games (often with teams involved in two matches) being played between Wednesday and Tuesday, across a variety of kick-off times, particularly at weekends.

I've mentioned elsewhere on this thread that I'm dead against 3pm Saturday games being made available on iFollow for longer than they need to be (whilst acknowledging what a boon it's been for many domestic exiles during the pandemic who won't be able to regularly get back to watch their clubs) - but I think the above is why it is made available for international weekends.

You'll realise there's lots of 'think', 'presume', 'suspect' in my reply - which probably backs up the first sentence of my response here!

Oldsmobile-88

It's a UEFA rule which allows games to be screened in international weekends. Andy Holt of Accrington complained about it a few seasons ago, to no avail.
I guess we will see in September what impact this has on attendance. I suspect not a lot, and in fact the club might actually do better with the extra income from streaming.
I seem to recall Andy Holt did manage with the help of others to stop the 3pm screening on International Weekends about 3/4 years ago ?.
He proved the detrimental effect of a 3pm screening.

It does not surprise me if the football governing authority’s in this country hid behind a obscure UEFA ruling(though what the fcku it has to do with them is anyone’s guess)

andrew p long

Just watched the ifollow extended highlights. They conclude with 'So Final Score Exeter City 1 Bradford City 1'

.. having started by listing our debutants as Jevani Brown and ..erm...Pierce Sweeney. What about Dieng,Grounds Nombe and Dawson?

I couldn't make out who had provided this commentary. I hope City haven't paid good money for it; the Radio Devon commentators were perfectly adequate on Saturday

fred binneys head

Is there a problem with iFollow today? I can’t get the video, only the commentary.

Colesman Ballz

Is there a problem with iFollow today? I can’t get the video, only the commentary.
There is no coverage !

iscalad

They don't have the rights to cup matches

fred binneys head

They don't have the rights to cup matches
That’ll be why I can’t see it then! Thanks for ending my torment.

iscalad

That’ll be why I can’t see it then! Thanks for ending my torment.
There's a dodgy Internet link on City's FB page

fred binneys head

I’m not on Facebook, I’ll just make do with the commentary for this game. Thanks for the help though 👍