• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

I love the GAP.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Way back in the day, when the pre-match and half-time entertainment was often provided by the Southern Railway Silver Band the gap was where the musicians used to retire to watch the match.

Instead of piping music through the tannoy perhaps this tradition of live music could be resurrected.

They could call themselves The Gap Band, their special signature tune being that 1979 hit "Oops Inside Pete's Head".

ORy

The whole idea of enhancing the gap is brilliant, with carefully planted and maintained firs we can even have two or three gaps! I may try to fund the Fir Gap with the rest of us Norwegian Grecians, thus at the same time enhancing both The Gap, and the bonds between us.

Grecian2K

I don't like trees at grounds. It automatically makes the ground look non league.
The old Big Bank had a fine row of trees along the side by the railway line.
When there were very big crowds enterprising youngsters would climb them to get a better view of the game - I distinctly recall this happening when we played Man U in 1969!

And, joking apart, aren't there grants available nowadays for tree-planting? The whole thing might be do-able for zero-cost. Not fir trees though. Fine, majestic English oaks I'd say. Or perhaps Birch, in memory of the former Grecian of that name?

Last edited:

IndoMike

What’s the point of having a tree there to attract wood pigeons if a cameraman is just going to destroy them with a stone? You’re sick.
But the pigeons will be avenged because while throwing the stone the cameramen will lose balance and fall out of the tree..Future cameramen will realize that throwing a stone at the birds is a mistake and thereafter wood pigeons and cameramen will live in harmony. You do get that, don't you

IndoMike

The whole idea of enhancing the gap is brilliant, with carefully planted and maintained firs we can even have two or three gaps! I may try to fund the Fir Gap with the rest of us Norwegian Grecians, thus at the same time enhancing both The Gap, and the bonds between us.
Thank God someone is on the same wavelength as me 🙄

Reactions: ORy

IndoMike

The old Big Bank had a fine row of trees along the side by the railway line.
When there were very big crowds enterprising youngsters would climb them to get a better view of the game - I distinctly recall this happening when we played Man U in 1969!

And, joking apart, aren't there grants available nowadays for tree-planting? The whole thing might be do-able for zero-cost. Not fir trees though. Fine, majestic English oaks I'd say. Or perhaps Birch, in memory of the former Grecian of that name?
I'm sorry, but this is my project and I'm not about to change course. Oak trees take far too long to grow and I'll snuff it before I see any results. It's fir trees or nothing

© firtreegapowner

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
The Gap has been there long before some Yank pi$$ pot which was saved in the revamp of SJP so as Geoff says lets save our Gap for future generations !

Us older ones have enjoyed The Gap and it doesn't seem right for us to deny the thousands of as yet unborn Grecians the opportunity of taking a stadium tour and looking on in awe at the magnificent Gap.
Just an aside I'm thinking of compiling a book or maybe even a short dvd of our gap through history so if anyone has any old pics or funny stories about The Gap please post them here.

Alistair20000

I thought we were supposed to support the planting of millions of trees to save the Planet. :unsure:

Arthur Davey

I'm expecting you to set up a "Save the Gap" fund forthwith. Funds can be used for not erecting gantries, not installing any buildings, and not installing a scoreboard
However, I've always thought some fir trees would look good in that space and would enhance City's green (oops) credentials.
Howz about it, Geoff?
Ooh no, not fir trees, the firkin fircones get stuck in the grass, needles everywhere, znd bits snap off way too easily (especially on days like today) - as I know only too well only from one of me day jobs. Like the idea of squirrels, mind - tho' would have to be red ones, naturally...not any of those gray vermin from across the pond...

Andy Holloway

But would Network Rail allow any trees to be planted on what is effectively their land or so close to it as to constitute a risk to the line?