• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

I love the GAP.

Andy Holloway

Ooh no, not fir trees, the firkin fircones get stuck in the grass, needles everywhere, znd bits snap off way too easily (especially on days like today) - as I know only too well only from one of me day jobs. Like the idea of squirrels, mind - tho' would have to be red ones, naturally...not any of those gray vermin from across the pond...
That's not a nice way to describe Pete, his hair may be grey with worry about where the next goalkeeping error is going to come from, but to add 'vermin' in there is a bit much.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
But would Network Rail allow any trees to be planted on what is effectively their land or so close to it as to constitute a risk to the line?
But imagine the Devon Live headlines:
"Exeter City's "Go Green" plans stopped in its tracks"
These trees would enhance the safety of GWR passengers since they would prevent shots from Sweeney or Sercombe (on a visit) from smashing the windows of passing trains.

CityTillIDie

How come we never put netting up to stop stray balls?

Andy Holloway

It would possibly partially obstruct the beautiful view of the roofs of Student Land and give Pete something else to moan about.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
How much would it cost to sponsor The Gap ?
#LoveTheGap #BeasonewithTheGap

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
How come we never put netting up to stop stray balls?
There used to be when the Old Grandstand was in place but it got tatty towards the end. I guess it would affect the view of those seated in the back of Block D, who look over the kiosk and loos towards the corner flag. I think we do eventually get back any balls that go over onto the railway embankment.

Colesman Ballz

There used to be when the Old Grandstand was in place but it got tatty towards the end. I guess it would affect the view of those seated in the back of Block D, who look over the kiosk and loos towards the corner flag. I think we do eventually get back any balls that go over onto the railway embankment.
It would be straightforward to put the netting above the fence to the railway at the back of the path. No one's view would then be obstructed. In these days of elf n safety, permission has to be sought from the railway signal control to go retrieving balls, and for Saturday matches that doesn't happen until Monday morning.

Spoonz Red E

There is a net.

Pete loves watching the gap on it every week.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is a net.

Pete loves watching the gap on it every week.
As they say on the London Underground:

"Mind the gap! Mind the gap!"

Spoonz Red E

As they say on the London Underground:

"Mind the gap! Mind the gap!"
That's the answer.

We should call the gap 'Mind' and put this image up on a hoarding.