• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

How long can the club punch above its weight?

For most of us City chose us, whereas Ace has chosen City. I don't think he deserves any of the insults there have been in some posts. I think he is just trying to suggest that we need all the positivity we can get and is trying to stimulate a discussion about how to get that. It wasn't just a gratuitous moan. I've certainly been frustrated by negative vibes from the crowd, the Harley incident was just a very good example.

Someone who gets it. Thanks.

Read and stop being ignorant ********.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good days. Averaging 30,000 in 1980 in top flight and even 20,000 in Division three a few years earlier. We were spoilt. And 'yes' - you are right. We belong where we are with the occasional promotion and obligatory 9-month later relegation.
The City team and club of today remind me strongly of the togetheness and sense of being part of something worthwhile that Palace had in the 60s when Bert Head was manager and Steve Kember came close to playing for England...treated the fans as important, grounded in the local community, etc.

The City team and club of today remind me strongly of the togetheness and sense of being part of something worthwhile that Palace had in the 60s when Bert Head was manager and Steve Kember came close to playing for England...treated the fans as important, grounded in the local community, etc.

Certainly was. And when most other well-supported Londons clubs were indulging in mindless thuggery every other week in the 70's and 80's we were happily chugging along as a family-friendly club where opposition supporters were safe. Unless they came from Brighton :)

Our fans own the club now too- albeit a small group of wealthy types.

Last edited:

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
Punching above our weight? Maybe, but the Recession will lead to some changes in the weight divisions. As long as the club is well run, we could be around for a while, with the chance of progression through the play-offs. Then we really would be punching above our weight.

L2 will always be there and all it takes is one bad season, for whatever reason, to drop back down there. If it happens, I would hope that we would be able to bounce back again.

I like it in L1, me.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
when most other well-supported Londons clubs were indulging in mindless thuggery every other week in the 70's and 80's we were happily chugging along as a family-friendly club where opposition supporters were safe. Unless they came from Brighton.
Or unless they were in the vicinity of Denny Warren, as I remember.

Punching above our weight? Maybe, but the Recession will lead to some changes in the weight divisions. As long as the club is well run, we could be around for a while, with the chance of progression through the play-offs. Then we really would be punching above our weight.

L2 will always be there and all it takes is one bad season, for whatever reason, to drop back down there. If it happens, I would hope that we would be able to bounce back again.

I like it in L1, me.

So true. It won't be you lot this coming season though unless very, very unlucky with injuries and whatnot.

Last edited:
Or unless they were in the vicinity of Denny Warren, as I remember.

Occasionally, a nutter would get through probably thinking he was in New Cross not Selhurst but it was a rare sight amongst those huge attendances. Palace and hooliganism? Doesn't sound right, does it?

Are you really this thick ?

The squad is the sum of all its parts, your assertion was that we should be starting the season weaker, at the start of last season we had Jonesy in goal, Taylor was injured and looked like he might not return, Cureton was an old gimp that we were taking a punt on, Troy had spent most of the previous season on the sick, Noble resembled Mr. Blobby, BJ was a first choice central defender, Nards was living up to his nickname of glass, none of our youngsters looked even close to good enough for the first team and Stewart was still a player.This season we seem to be pretty much injury free, we have kept the bulk of the squad which closed out last season so well, our crocks have had a full season and a pre to get up to speed, the kids are now being spoken of as being in the frame, Sercs, Troy and Dunny will have matured, Nobby and Nards should start the season fit, they are two class players who along with Bowzer should be able to take up most of the slack lost with Harley, Cureton's goals are a loss but strikers are streaky and there was never any guarantee that such an old guy could do two in a row, besides I rate O'Flynn and people who's view I trust tell me Nicholls could be the real deal.

But other than all that there is not much to suggest we might kick on, no guarantees of course, but having seen the early season performance at Orient where we looked like the team had been lifted out of the E&D Sunday League, I am prepared to state in as categoric way possible that it is my firm belief that we are in a far better position to start this season than we were the last, better players in a better team as a part of a stronger squad, if you don't agree that is your prerogative, why anybody would care what what some Sarf Landan reject thought escapes me, but as I say, everybody has the right to be stupid, some do abuse that privilege but hey, "it's all about opinions la'"(c. Credy).

No matter how many crocks and hasbeens were in the squad 12 months ago the letting go of chaff like Corr and Russell a few months earlier and being replaced with proven quality such as Cureton and Nardiello -even if it was a gamble - meant that it was a stronger squad ability-wise at the start of 2010/11 than that of 2009/10. Unfortunately, this end season the chaff (relative to Harley and Cureton and a fit Taylor) have come in and the proven quality has gone out. Take the blinkers off. It's gonna be a tough season with the changes unless they (the newcomers and youngsters) adapt quickly.

Last edited:

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Someone who gets it. Thanks.

Read and stop being ignorant ********.
Ah, so your point would be that you didn't compare the starting squad with last seasons starters, rather with the finishers. Had you been proper City rather than some dog faced, Sarf Landan, wide boy then I should seriously consider a retraction, maybe even some semblance of an apology, but you ain't so I wont.

Even taking account of my inability to read the OP and understand it without a second glance you are still wrong, we have consistently lost what were considered to be our better players in the summer, only to see them replaced with nobodies who turned out to actually improve the squad. I still would not concede that the loss of Harley and Cureton seriously weakens the squad, any loss going forward may well result in a strengthening defensively.

And what's all this Palace man love sh*t ?

They are just about South London's equivalent of Argyle, never won nothing, used to have some support, went bust, blah, blah, blah. Their decline into the shadow of a re-emerging Brighton is assured.

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
chaff like Corr
How many goals did he score in a crap Sarfend team ?

You can always tell a Sarf Londoner, but you can't tell him much.