• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harry Kite

Mid Devon Grecian

But surely the fact that GC is in an unsackable position means that he should be looking longer term rather than quick fixes? Quick fixes are for managers who need results to day and might get sacked? I would say that GC should have his eye on both and our model allows that
His no1 priority will be to keep us in league 1. I think he is looking long term and will influence the style of training in the Academy. That will take years and the current Academy crop won’t have been trained in the GC style whereas the Prem loanees we have almost certainly will have been trained in that style.

He has no choice but to fill the gaps short term with signings like Woods/Carroll/Aimson/Jules/Purrington

Bat Fastard

His no1 priority will be to keep us in league 1. I think he is looking long term and will influence the style of training in the Academy. That will take years and the current Academy crop won’t have been trained in the GC style whereas the Prem loanees we have almost certainly will have been trained in that style.

He has no choice but to fill the gaps short term with signings like Woods/Carroll/Aimson/Jules/Purrington
Caldwell ball infiltrating through all age groups is a terrifying prospect

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
But surely the fact that GC is in an unsackable position means that he should be looking longer term rather than quick fixes? Quick fixes are for managers who need results to day and might get sacked? I would say that GC should have his eye on both and our model allows that
He's not in an unsackable position, the club have chosen not to sack him which is an entirely different conversation.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Caldwell ball infiltrating through all age groups is a terrifying prospect
Academy players only get ready for first team football when they are about 15 to16. According to Aaron Pugh at the Senior Reds meeting we had at Cliff Hill.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't blame Caldwell for looking for quick fixes rather than perhaps looking at the future or bigger picture in terms or playing local lads bringing academy players through , he’s trying to protect himself and his job which given how football management works in terms of job security you cant blame him.

For me its the club not Caldwell who should responsible for deciding those type of things - is being in league one more important than having say 3-4 academy players in the starting 11 playing in league 2 for example who could in time earn the club money?

The reality is mid table in league 1 is probably our ceiling unless investment comes into the club , is that more important than the above? I don’t put that at the managers door , that comes from above IMO.
And looking at the discussions on here it is not clear what many fans want either. It looks like we will hopefully achieve our primary objective of staying in league 1 and yet there are still lots of complaints about style of football, poor home form, lack of long-term planning etc.

Rosencrantz

I don't think they there is a big stretch between how the academy players have been coached and how Caldwell wants to play anyway. They have looked to play out for years going back to Tisdale's time as manager and concentrate on technical ability anyway. If anything, they had to adapt more to Matt's way of playing.

Simba3011

If we get past the issue of style I wonder how GC is going implement and improve the next batch of young pros, he seems to favour experienced short term players rather than giving our youngsters a spot in the squad.

Rosencrantz

During the recent fans forum it was said that an U21/PDP Coach was joining in April from The FA. Having that extra assistance dedicated to the young pro's will be a good step forward. We have had that in the past with Matt, Wayno and Dan Green before they moved up to first team. At the moment I think it is just being covered by various other coaches (Kev, Perk's and Ajose) along with their other duties.

andrew p long

My typo, meant first year pro's, not first year scholars!
So are you saying that of the first year pros only two (presumably Cox and Lee ) train with the first team, but that the others (Borges Beardmore O'Connor Billington King James and ?Cummings?) don't?

AmberRed

So are you saying that of the first year pros only two (presumably Cox and Lee ) train with the first team, but that the others (Borges Beardmore O'Connor Billington King James and ?Cummings?) don't?
Yes, hence my comment about blocking pathways.