• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harley et al

NZGrecian

Unfortunately as i dont get to many games at the moment (the commute is a b*tch) i rely on Exeweb and the official web site for match reports.

So far so good it seems altho one thing i have noticed over the past 2 months or so is that noone is raving about Harley anymore! I can recall at the start of the season and for the first 10 or so games, Harley was the best thing since sliced bread and we would struggle to keep hold of him come January.

So what has happened?

Seaborne, Edwards and Gill were also getting rave reviews - have they also gone off the 'boil'?

Just curious thats all.

Cheers

p6steve

There's no doubting Harley's skill and at the beginning of the season he was using it to good effect getting into good shooting positions and getting shots away. He was beating players and using his trickery to great effect. I don't think he's lost any of that skill, but now he seems to get brushed off the ball very easily, has no pace (he runs in a very upright position a la Michael Johnson), and invariably has to get the ball onto his right foot to get the shot away by which time he's been blown off the ball! Playing him on the left does him no favours at all. He's not really a tackler and doesn't seem to like getting 'stuck in'.
However, I think Tis should persevere and work with him. We know how good he is at getting the best out of players and the potential with Harley is clear to see. If he goes in January then so be it, but I'd like to see him at the park for longer.
Seaborne, Gill and Edwards in my opinion are doing just fine. Rob's getting on a bit admittedly, but he's lost none of his presence and positioning and makes up for his age and lack of pace with them. They all have their on days and their off days but I think they're mostly solid. We've been in the playoff positions for most of the season now so we must be doing something right. What we need is a striker who can score regularly and put away all of the chances we are creating!

Last edited:

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
NZ Grecian, football fans have very short memories. If you've been following exeweb over the years like me, you'll know that a City player is only as good as his last game. Players are brilliant or carp depending on whether they happened to be in the right place at the right time last game or (in Harley's case) didn't shout and run a lot when there was no need thereby proving they would die for the shirt. If a player is off-form, better they go running around and hurling themselves at opposition players than simply moving into the right place to receive the ball. Harley's style is languid even when he's on form, but that is costly with fans if you're not Denis Bergkamp. I have still heard on the Radio Devon commentaries 'great ball' from Harley (or Stewart come to that, another who people seem to be questioning) but fans tend to notice shots, tackles or running with the ball a lot more than an intelligent pass. Early season Harley was scoring goals but he isn't now and it sounds like he's still playing himself back into the team a bit. Paul Tisdale said in a recent interview that Harley views ECFC as a 'stepping stone' which suggests that if a good offer comes in he'll be off like a shot. That kind of thing will not help him win over fans but he obviously has so much quality that PT will not leave him out despite that. He may be the one player in the team who we wouldn't miss that much actually, judging by the results when he wasn't playing. But he may be playing below his level, as his game does rely on his teammates understanding team play. There are players (like Bergkamp) that need their teammates to make the right runs and see theirs as they don't have pace to do it on their own from deep. He has a great first touch, uses both feet well and is a great passer.

ecfc2000

Agreed Antman, he's clearly using us as a 'stepping stone'............... back to non league football. I can't see a club in a higher league wanting his services. IMO, he's the weakest link in our current mid-field. What i've seen of him on the 3-5 matches anyway. Id rather have Bertie/Secombe in his place any day.

Invisible Man

He appears dis-interested at present. He made one tackle yesterday and shirked 3. That will not endear himself to the home faithful. He seems more interested in not getting injured and tip toeing around. He has obvious ability, however lately he has been a doing a great job hiding it.

Joshyd123

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agreed Antman, he's clearly using us as a 'stepping stone'............... back to non league football. I can't see a club in a higher league wanting his services. IMO, he's the weakest link in our current mid-field. What i've seen of him on the 3-5 matches anyway. Id rather have Bertie/Secombe in his place any day.
I don't know whether you're being serious or having a laugh with that comment. Up until you mentioned Bertie and Liam I thought you truly meant it, but then something changed...

However, at this precise moment I'll be glad to see the back of Harley if he continues to look un-interested and lack attention to detail with his play.

information_ministry

Well-known Exeweb poster
Harley appears to think he is better than he really is and does not need to put in the effort required. He is scared of physical contact, rarely chases anything, and has become a liability.

he needs a few games warming the bench

i_m

loobygrecian

Dont know whats up with Harley, he seems to have gone off the boil so to speak, he has the skill and intelligence, but he just faffs about with the ball and loses possesion so easily, seems scared to make a tackle aswell, come on Ryan we know you can do much better!

Joshyd123

Dont know whats up with Harley, he seems to have gone off the boil so to speak, he has the skill and intelligence, but he just faffs about with the ball and loses possesion so easily, seems scared to make a tackle aswell, come on Ryan we know you can do much better!
And then when he does try to make a challenge, it's late, mistimed and it looked as if he nearly cried by burying his face into the grass.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have had many arguments with a mate of mine about this. He still thinks that Harley is our best player and doesn't need to work hard. I think that is rubbish. Every player has to work hard and stick a foot in from time to time. Harley has definate potential but if he is ever going to take his Football career any further or infact keep it at this level at all, he needs to start working hard and looking interested. I don't think he really wants to play for this club. Maybe i am wrong but i am only going on what his body language is telling me. If he goes in January, i won't care. Might give another player a chance who wants to fight for the team.