• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ground Rules

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
There are worse things that you can be, erm, ejected from a football ground for.

Doubt that's specified on their ground regulations either.
Speaking of the Shrews I'm sure I recall one highly esteemed ExeWeb mod once being ejected from the Gayer Meadow for totally illegal use of a camera!

ALL of these "regulations" do seem to be applied somewhat arbitrarily depending on where (or who) you are? (I mean I was nearly summarily thrown out of Gnome Park once - for having only five digits on the end of each arm.)

Last edited:

Terryhall

Actually, smoking is massively a net contributor to the Exchequer.
It's still morally reprehensible however, that any government is entirely comfortable to continue to allow a lethally toxic dangerously addictive carcinogen to be sold in vast quantities, purely because of the tax revenue generated from those addicted to it. I find it completely staggering that this is not only completely accepted by most, it is also often put forward as a positive thing.

This coming from an ex-smoker who most definitely did not find it easy to quit.

Anyway, ground rules... (smoke)

Last edited:

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's still morally reprehensible however, that any government is entirely comfortable to continue to allow a lethally toxic dangerously addictive carcinogen to be sold in vast quantities, purely because of the tax revenue generated from those addicted to it.
It's a filthy habit and some people need protecting from themselves, but would any government ban it? For those that would like to give up there are those equally determined to carry on. The sad thing is that there seems to be so many young girls stood outside pubs puffing away. The case for giving it up just isn't getting through.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It's a filthy habit and some people need protecting from themselves, but would any government ban it? For those that would like to give up there are those equally determined to carry on. The sad thing is that there seems to be so many young girls stood outside pubs puffing away. The case for giving it up just isn't getting through.
On the contrary, the sight of people, especially young people, smoking is something that I see far less of these days than previously. Having been in Italy this summer smoking is WAY more prevalent amongst the youth there than here.

Grecian2K

Ah, the good old smoking/non-smoking debate! Welcome back.

For myself, having smoked for nearly 40 years gave it up seven and a bit years back (just before our first trip to Wembley as it happens) - 5pm on 5/5/2007 as it 'appens (not that I'm still counting)

The incentive had been experiencing the smoking ban while working in Scotland - plus, of course, the ban at New Wembley as well. Reckoned that if I could get through a play-off campaign without chemical assistance I might stand a chance. Also seeing (and having joined) huddles of miserable fellow smokers outside pub doorways enjoying the traditional scotch mist of a Caledonian "summer" was a taste of thinks to come down south. So decision was made.

But also the decision was made NEVER to be a rabid "smokist" either. While its still legal I'll still totally defend the right of others to enjoy nicotine it they still choose. FFS, I live with someone and who, and whose daughter, still both smoke, in and out of the house. And, believe it or not, the smoke doesn't bother me one little bit. Once I made the decision smoking was (and it still) not even on my radar any longer. I just don't notice it.

And, for once I find myself in total agreement with Anton - it IS possibly just down to will-power (or just pure stubbornness - I decided that if I did chose to evil weed it would be my choice and not that of the ****ing government). That, and the encouragement of two disbelieving daughters who never thought the old man could ever give up.
Cold turkey did it - a month or so of decreasing discomfort and, job done. Never even faintly tempted to smoke since then - nor to try the palliative "patches" after all, its the NICOTINE that is addictive - hence my slightly cynical view that these new "vaping" devices are just a new more trendy way of pushing their product.

But if anyone wants to try it on the BB (or in the pub) it wouldn't bother me one little jot - although neither would someone lighting up a real one next to me in the ground. Frankly I'm probably wouldn't even notice.

Having said that, the stadium ban WAS almost totally instrumental in my giving up in the first place!

PS: Shabba. Thought you'd given up ages ago???

Last edited:

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ah, the good old smoking/non-smoking debate! Welcome back.

For myself, having smoked for nearly 40 years gave it up seven and a bit years back (just before our first trip to Wembley as it happens) - 5pm on 5/5/2007 as it 'appens (not that I'm still counting)

The incentive had been experiencing the smoking ban while working in Scotland - plus, of course, the ban at New Wembley as well. Reckoned that if I could get through a play-off campaign without chemical assistance I might stand a chance. Also seeing (and having joined) huddles of miserable fellow smokers outside pub doorways enjoying the traditional scotch mist of a Caledonian "summer" was a taste of thinks to come down south. So decision was made.

But also the decision was made NEVER to be a rabid "smokist" either. While its still legal I'll still totally defend the right of others to enjoy nicotine it they still choose. FFS, I live with someone and who, and whose daughter, still both smoke, in and out of the house. And, believe it or not, the smoke doesn't bother me one little bit. Once I made the decision smoking was (and it still) not even on my radar any longer. I just don't notice it.

And, for once I find myself in total agreement with Anton - it IS possibly just down to will-power (or just pure stubbornness - I decided that if I did chose to evil weed it would be my choice and not that of the ****ing government). That, and the encouragement of two disbelieving daughters who never thought the old man could ever give up.
Cold turkey did it - a month or so of decreasing discomfort and, job done. Never even faintly tempted to smoke since then - nor to try the palliative "patches" after all, its the NICOTINE that is addictive - hence my slightly cynical view that these new "vaping" devices are just a new more trendy way of pushing their product.

But if anyone wants to try it on the BB (or in the pub) it wouldn't bother me one little jot - although neither would someone lighting up a real one next to me in the ground. Frankly I'm probably wouldn't even notice.

Having said that, the stadium ban WAS almost totally instrumental in my giving up in the first place!

PS: Shabba. Thought you'd given up ages ago???
I did and then started again.

Grecian2K

I did and then started again.
Serious suggestion, Shabbs, but why not enlist your lad into the 'bet'
Certainly worked for me with my two girls.

I never smoked again purely for loss of face....
....and they never started because they would have lost the rare moral high ground over a parent.

motorservices

You may think we would pay more taxes but think of cost reductions in the health service with less money to pay for smoking related illnesses like lung cancer etc
You;re wrong, if every smoker gave up today it would be years before the problems of smoking were sorted, but the government would have the tax from fags to help pay for it, they would just put income tax up

redforever

At least it's a step in the right direction

motorservices

At least it's a step in the right direction
How is it? the NHS would fall apart, income tax, fuel duty and VAT would all go up