• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Grimes latest.....?

jr1871

I hear tonight from a good provider of previous info, that it is NOT Swansea in the box seat, but 2 championship clubs. The fee mentioned was considerable, but to reach circa 1.75 a bunch of criteria will need to be met. No loan back, but the deal will not happen until very close to the window end. Same source say's Pym deal is done and finished, but the fee is less than 500 in total. Don't know the club. Apparently, a virtual wall of silence surrounds this one....

My guess for Grimes from the mentioned clubs is Forest, Pearce of course has good England young un contacts. If it is them, we need to look out for the Owner, who is allegedly late making payments on Assombalonga, and has got himself a winding up order in January.

So that's it, for what it is, or isn't worth.

hardi2b

Agree not Swans rather Derby County ? And so more speculation

Well-known Exeweb poster
Imo if poss the lad should go to an 'established 'prem club, .he's at the age to step right up. But thinking about it i quess that aint rocket science and maybe they just aint biting..why? @ a quess maybe it's his lack of goals?, i know thats changing ,,,loads of maybe's and but's ,,,,, but!

Last edited:

Dubai Grecian

There aren't many clubs in the Championship who can afford/will want to spend a one million plus fee now. Still believe he will be a premiership "investment" for a side not threatened by relegation.

My bet Southampton, Swansea, or Spurs

Terryhall

I hear tonight from a good provider of previous info, that it is NOT Swansea in the box seat, but 2 championship clubs. The fee mentioned was considerable, but to reach circa 1.75 a bunch of criteria will need to be met. No loan back, but the deal will not happen until very close to the window end. Same source say's Pym deal is done and finished, but the fee is less than 500 in total. Don't know the club. Apparently, a virtual wall of silence surrounds this one....

My guess for Grimes from the mentioned clubs is Forest, Pearce of course has good England young un contacts. If it is them, we need to look out for the Owner, who is allegedly late making payments on Assombalonga, and has got himself a winding up order in January.

So that's it, for what it is, or isn't worth.
Local press in Swansea suggests that they are still in the chase - actual quotes from their manager too so this is more concrete than all the other rumours over the past two weeks (e.g. this is the first time I've seen anyone except Tis or Perryman talking about Grimes in the media)

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Garry-Monk-admits-Swansea-City-watched-Exeter-s/story-25705285-detail/story.html

GARRY Monk has admitted Swansea City have watched Exeter City starlet Matt Grimes as he bids to bolster his squad in the January transfer window. But the Swansea manager insists suggestions that a £1.75 million deal for the playmaker has already been agreed are wide of the mark.

Monk acknowledges that Swansea are aware of Grimes's growing reputation. "We've had a look at him for sure, but it's been well documented that a number of clubs have and at this moment in time that's far as it's gone," said the Swansea manager. "We've looked at a number of players and affordability comes into it with all of them. He's a name that's come out of the lower leagues and a few have had a look but in terms of a deal, no, that hasn't happened."
Sounds like plenty of interested parties but also sounds like the rumour of £1.75m is a bit OTT. (Or then again, perhaps this is all part of the negotiations, e.g. we leak a rumour about £1.75m, he then comes out and says he's watched the lad play but no deal done and £1.75m is way too much etc....)

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
This is a post thread about Grimes. If you look back at any of my posts I have never posted idol gossip or lies or negativity about Grimes, Pym or Hamon. My knowledge of either person is of no concern of yours or anybody else's. Everything mentioned so far is complete bull**** by people whose own lives are lacking. I deal in fact not fiction and the fact is the transfer window is not open so no Club will state any interest in a player. The look at me posters making things up on thread after thread just say "look at me, I want to be listened to but I once again I have nothing to say"
Well the fact is that Monk was directly quoted in the papers yesterday as saying that he is interested in Grimes but that no offer has been made.

GrecianWonder

Won't be one of these 3 teams...

http://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30478833?SThisEM

To be fair I know Forest have known this was going to happen for about 3 months and if you look at it they can still sign players on a '1 in, 1 out' basis as long as the new player is not being paid more money than the player going out. Forest have a number of expendable fringe players on good money who they will release on frees or sell for minimal money to get the new players in that they want. For instance they have Danny Collins, Greg Halford, Djamel Abdoun (on £30k a week apparently!!!) and a few more who aren't either getting anywhere near the 1st team or have been told to leave the club so if they wanted to sign Grimes they could do easily by say releasing Abdoun and paying Grimes £10k a week which would still save them £20k a week.

The whole FFP is a joke anyway really in that in Forest's case the chairman could comfortably put it £10million a year as a 'gift' to the club incurring no additional debt to the club or placing it in any financial danger but is not allowed to with the club being penalised by FFP. Whereas another club can be run at a £2million a year loss actually effecting the clubs debts and potentially placing it in financial danger in the future but yet they are allowed to continue spending?? It just seems wrong to me.

We all want a fairer financial system where the richest clubs don't always win but in reality you can force this in the Championship but as soon as you go up to the Premiership the richest clubs have a closed shop anyway where you are never going to be able to compete or be able to break into the top 4 or 5 teams anyway. The way this works is totally unfair in the PL in that the biggest clubs have their postitions protected as other clubs will never be able to do what Man City or Chelsea did and suddendly go through a rapid period of growth through new owners. Man Utd are protected as they had a head start on everybody else through excellent off the pitch management in the early days of the PL and are now allowed to spend more than everybody else no matter what. If you want a fair system there should be salary budget cap at say £50 million a year where you can not spend more than that no matter who you are. That way everybody has the same chance each season.

Going back to Matt Grimes I was sat behind somebody who I believe to be an ECFC Director on Saturday who I overheard telling a friend he was sat with, 'that Grimes won't leave for less than £1.5million on our terms and if it was £1.5million we would want him back on loan'. That's what I heard but who knows if it is what is going to happen or not.

Overhearing someone's conversation and reporting it here is the act of a weirdo and a complete loser
I thought it was you I heard talking on Saturday Raspcallion! ;-)

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Overhearing someone's conversation and reporting it here is the act of a weirdo and a complete loser
If the conversation was confidential he shouldn't have been conducting it in the middle of a football stand.