• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Great City comebacks

Athelstan

When was the last time we overturned a two goal deficit to win a game? I can think of a few times where we have fought back from 2-0 down to draw (Shrewsbury in the Conference, Billericay in the FA Trophy and Hull a year or two before we were relegated from the League spring to mind) but I am struggling to think of the last time we won from such a parlous situation. I know that we were 2-0 down against Fulham in the famous 6-4 win twenty odd years ago, but surely there must be a more recent example?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Re: Exeter City vs Shrewsbury Town Matchday Thread

When was the last time we overturned a two goal deficit to win a game? I can think of a few times where we have fought back from 2-0 down to draw (Shrewsbury in the Conference, Billericay in the FA Trophy and Hull a year or two before we were relegated from the League spring to mind) but I am struggling to think of the last time we won from such a parlous situation. I know that we were 2-0 down against Fulham in the famous 6-4 win twenty odd years ago, but surely there must be a more recent example?
Best recent comeback would be November 2010 when we pulled 3 goals back at Oldham to get a 3-3 draw. Can't think of a win off the top of my head.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster

Surely Tues 3 May 1977 at Barnsley saw the greatest Grecian winning comeback ever?

It was a funny one that. Reliable sources at the time reckoned it was witnessed by about 4 Grecian supporters but, over the years, that figure seems to have grown 100 fold in ECFC mythology!

Avening Posse

Surely Tues 3 May 1977 at Barnsley saw the greatest Grecian winning comeback ever?

It was a funny one that. Reliable sources at the time reckoned it was witnessed by about 4 Grecian supporters but, over the years, that figure seems to have grown 100 fold in ECFC mythology!
Were you one of the four G2K, I wasnt, I was 9 and probably more interested in watching Batman on the tele :)

motorservices

Were you one of the four G2K, I wasnt, I was 9 and probably more interested in watching Batman on the tele :)
haha i was 2 months 10 days off being born :p

Grecian2K

Sadly, no, not me I fear.

But I've a vague recollection that that King of Kernow, Sturtz, might have been? Perhaps the great man can confirm or deny?

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.

First or second season in the conference I believe we did it against Crawley at home.

4th sept 2004 according to soccerbase.

Last edited:

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster

Sadly, no, not me I fear.

But I've a vague recollection that that King of Kernow, Sturtz, might have been? Perhaps the great man can confirm or deny?
I've heard that story from him in person and he's recounted it a few times on here. I just remember BBC south west saying we were three-nil down in the second half, and thinking "that's it" only to discover later that we'd won!

contrabombarde

I remember that well too. I heard the half time score on the wireless of us being 3-0 down and then heard the full time results expecting a drubbing, only to hear the announcer say Barnsley 3 Exeter City 4. I was bouncing around all night after that.

James Whitmore

I was there with Ian Birks, who now lives in Australia. We were both at Manchester Uni at the time. I don't recall seeing any other Grecians there but I imagine there might have been one or two. On the train back to Manchester we met the Echo reporter, Tony (?) Phillips. He was at a loss what to write and wanted help. An amazing evening.
Going back to yesterday, how, could you describe Oakley's position in the second half? Overlapping centre back? The first two goals resulted from him being in an advanced position on the left wing. I'm still trying to get my head round that one.