• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Germany 2 England 3

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
How many goals did Rooney score in World Cup Tournaments: He played 11 games and scored a massive ONE. He played in 3 World Cup Tournaments, 2 of which I attended and felt let down by the shambles that were England players at the time.

Rooney was not alone, but he has had more than enough chances to perform against the better Countries.

Capello once said "Rooney only plays well in Manchester"

His performances in the Euro tournments is slightly better...4 goals

Admittedly over last 2 decades our so called golden generation all failed to deliver in tournaments, surely then that should be proof enough that Hodgson should not follow the same route. Rooney is no longer an England starter, his performances for a mediocre league club are at best, mediocre. Hodgdon has better options now
Ah, Capello, England's favourite manager. Obviously if a man fairly universally derided has an opinion it should be listened to if it fits your argument.

What doesn't fit, for me, is the arguments against Rooney that there are better options. In the qualifiers who performed better? Rooney captained the side - and scored regularly for it - to the only perfect record in the whole of Europe. I think we have some genuinely good striking options available to us, but - and it's imperative that he proves his fitness first - I believe Rooney stands shoulder to shoulder with those options and for that reason believe he should go.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Completely agree. Let's give some others a chance.
Leave out the highest ever goal scorer in your nations history?

Madness