• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Germany 2 England 3

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I won't be disappointed if he doesn't recover from injury. If he is fit I agree that Roy will take him, and probably play him too but the issue for me is how many forwards will we take , and who misses out if Rooney goes?

In addition to Rooney, we have

Kane
Vardy
Walcott
Sturridge
Lallana
Walcott
Walcott should be no where near the squad or team given his form this season - think he should miss out

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Alli won't be that deep

He will go with Henderson & Dier as the two sitters in midfield (unless Whilshire is available or fit)

Then it will be either Alli , Barkley , Sterling , Welbeck , Lallana joining Rooney with Kane as the no9

On current form

Henderson
Dier

Alli
Rooney
Barkley

Kane
Not a chance. Perhaps Alli can play out wide but Barkley is not a winger. Welbeck is a big favourite of Roy's and will start if fit. He's in much better form than Barkley anyway.

From what I've seen of Alli and how he's adjusted from playing Gillingham to Germany in one year he looks the most talented English player of his generation.

CREDYGRECIAN

Agree re Delle Alli he looks a proper player - destined for big things

Antony Moxey

Of course he should go and I'm not doubting what a good player he's been but six goals in five major tournaments suggests he hasn't done it when it matters for England.

Roy has already said he wants pace on the flanks so you can forget shunting Kane out wide. It'll likely be Sterling and Welbeck either side of the sole striker, which in my opinion has to be Kane.
But he has done it when it matters - we went ten out of ten in the qualifying tournament and Rooney was instrumental in that. He's one of the few players in the current squad who HAS scored regularly when it matters.

CREDYGRECIAN

This always happens - "exciting new players should start" Rooney is finished etc....

Rooney is a premier league & champions league winner & has over 100 caps and 50 goals....

His experience is massive....

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
But he has done it when it matters - we went ten out of ten in the qualifying tournament and Rooney was instrumental in that. He's one of the few players in the current squad who HAS scored regularly when it matters.
If Rooney regains fitness properly he will go. If he is going into the tournament without a run of games we have imo enough attacking options not to need him. His experience is valuable but I don't take the qualifiers into much account as a lot of those sides are poor compared to the sides in the final. Rooney hasn't delivered on the big stage in recent tournaments and neither has the side so I would rather we go with more of the younger attacking options as if they don't do the business it won't be any worse than recent world cups and euros.

Antony Moxey

Yes but NO-ONE has delivered in tournaments since Euro 96 so are we saying everyone who's played in a tournament should be left at home too? Because that seems to be the reason for leaving Rooney at home.

CREDYGRECIAN

Ant I agree with very little you post but I agree

Who else has delivered? Nobody is the answer. Even the "golden generation" lampard , beckham , Gerrard and
The like never did much at the big tournaments

Rooney is an outstanding talent (and he's a United player) in any other country apart from ours he would be a national hero

Rabid Doug

How many goals did Rooney score in World Cup Tournaments: He played 11 games and scored a massive ONE. He played in 3 World Cup Tournaments, 2 of which I attended and felt let down by the shambles that were England players at the time.

Rooney was not alone, but he has had more than enough chances to perform against the better Countries.

Capello once said "Rooney only plays well in Manchester"

His performances in the Euro tournments is slightly better...4 goals

Admittedly over last 2 decades our so called golden generation all failed to deliver in tournaments, surely then that should be proof enough that Hodgson should not follow the same route. Rooney is no longer an England starter, his performances for a mediocre league club are at best, mediocre. Hodgdon has better options now

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
How many goals did Rooney score in World Cup Tournaments: He played 11 games and scored a massive ONE. He played in 3 World Cup Tournaments, 2 of which I attended and felt let down by the shambles that were England players at the time.

Rooney was not alone, but he has had more than enough chances to perform against the better Countries.

Capello once said "Rooney only plays well in Manchester"

His performances in the Euro tournments is slightly better...4 goals

Admittedly over last 2 decades our so called golden generation all failed to deliver in tournaments, surely then that should be proof enough that Hodgson should not follow the same route. Rooney is no longer an England starter, his performances for a mediocre league club are at best, mediocre. Hodgdon has better options now
Completely agree. Let's give some others a chance.