• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Well I suppose snow-blindness affects us all at some point.
Go look at the front page of the Times today. A small northern facebook group talks about deselecting MPs, and it's top story. Labour ahead in the polls not given much prominence (wasn't it their poll?).

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
It all hinges on Brexit doesn't it. If Davis pulls a blinder and gets the best deal ever then he will probably be the next PM. If he buggers it up and ruins us forever then Corbyn just might be. Or if (as is the most likely option) the deal falls somewhere in the middle and it's impossible to tell whether it was a good idea or not, we'll probably be stuck with Johnson.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the front page of The Times has this story, which is significant. Having seen the hitlist via a screen grab (the list has since been deleted) it is pretty significant.

The print press is allowed, of course, to be partisan. Which is why I deliberately directly referenced TV coverage.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I can only remember Blair getting favorable press, but he was a Tory.
Please supply workings. The fact that he probably votes Tory now to pay lower taxes is not "evidence" you can use.

Alistair20000

Yes, the front page of The Times has this story, which is significant. Having seen the hitlist via a screen grab (the list has since been deleted) it is pretty significant.

The print press is allowed, of course, to be partisan. Which is why I deliberately directly referenced TV coverage.
Who was on the hit list Jason ? Did it include Liz Kendall ?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

It is not significant.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Who was on the hit list Jason ? Did it include Liz Kendall ?
Surprisingly no, nor did it include the likes of Owen Smith and John Mann, nor Yvette Cooper. Obviously Ben Bradshaw was on it, as was my MP (her who the Glorious Leader sacked last week). A further surprise (for me anyway) was the inclusion of Emma Dent Coad, the new MP for Kensington and therefore in the news quite a bit of late.

There were 49 names altogether, although a further comment said "This list is by no means comprehensive".

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It is not significant.
One man's meat, etc.

IndoMike

How far back do you need to go to build your argument? Making tools out of flint was a good leg up as well. :)
Re google, as I said, contrary to the popular press ...
Not trying to be a smart arse, just showing the May (monthly) figures:
Pound falls as UK trade deficit swells and industrial output falls unexpectedly - business live
Britain’s trade gap widened in May, and industrial output misses forecasts after a drop in manufacturing

Britain’s trade deficit has jumped - details start here
UK industrial output fell 0.1%, City expected a 0.5% rise
Car production down sharply in May
Economists: It’s bad news for growth
Latest: Sterling drops to $1.291
Earlier:

Jitters over monetary policy are hitting shares and bonds
Halifax: UK house prices fell in June

Is austerity working?

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Not trying to be a smart arse, just showing the May (monthly) figures:
Pound falls as UK trade deficit swells and industrial output falls unexpectedly - business live
Britain’s trade gap widened in May, and industrial output misses forecasts after a drop in manufacturing

Britain’s trade deficit has jumped - details start here
UK industrial output fell 0.1%, City expected a 0.5% rise
Car production down sharply in May
Economists: It’s bad news for growth
Latest: Sterling drops to $1.291
Earlier:

Jitters over monetary policy are hitting shares and bonds
Halifax: UK house prices fell in June

Is austerity working?
A good news UK manufacturing story from this week:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-40479472

Status