• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

sign of the chimes

Without putting a downer on things, I wouldn't say we spent 'unprecedented funds', Purrington, Alli, and Cummins couldn't have been too much combined and the other 3 were loans.

I still think a CF and a proper RB were needed, both permanent. That said, Eisa and Harris replaced Scott and Trevitt, Purrington replaced Mitchell, and Alli, Woods, and Cummins are additions with Cummins for the future.

We've grown the number of players available to GC so it has to be a positive window on the face of it.
Never underestimate the cost of the loans! Loan fees and wages were making up a very significant proportion of our playing budget under our previous management, when most of our top-earners were those we didn't own. Even without a fee, I wouldn't be surprised if Eisa wasn't costing you a per-week wage that might have precluded a longer-term deal (obvs once he's out of contract he might not be able to command a similar amount).

StudentGrecian

Without putting a downer on things, I wouldn't say we spent 'unprecedented funds', Purrington, Alli, and Cummins couldn't have been too much combined and the other 3 were loans.

I still think a CF and a proper RB were needed, both permanent. That said, Eisa and Harris replaced Scott and Trevitt, Purrington replaced Mitchell, and Alli, Woods, and Cummins are additions with Cummins for the future.

We've grown the number of players available to GC so it has to be a positive window on the face of it.
I agree it doesn’t seem to that we’ve had much more than the average window, but we have sorted the key area, despite still being 1 short.

We actually have a big squad which was poorly put together in the summer. We probably do have a fairly big ‘unprecedented’ wage bill after January, but that’s because we’ve overstocked in certain areas and have about 4/5 professionals who don’t add much value to the squad.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Brilliant window, not too bothered about another striker now. If we've money left best keeping it back to bring in Eisa and Woods in the close season providing they do the bizz at the tail end of this. Failing that we could try again for Presley.
We're looking good!

robchave

I agree it doesn’t seem to that we’ve had much more than the average window.
I could be wrong, but it seems to me that we've been exceptionally active for a January window. I can't remember us doing this much business - in January - for years.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Overall it's a very good window for us. We've brought in a #9 in Eisa that we needed and Alli can also play as a #9 or #10, and Sonny is now a proper first team player as well. Purrington is a good signing as we needed a left sided defensive player, Harris is an excellent #10 who provides a goal threat and has helped Aitchison's game as well. Then adding Woods today gives us a defensive mid which we were also looking for. Cummings is also hopefully a good signing for the future as well.

I would have liked another permanent striker brought in, and sounds like we have tried if the bids of around 250k for Pressley are to be believed. At least you would expect that this money (having by the looks of it not been used) will still be available come the summer when the market will not be as inflated.

All in all a good window and we've given ourselves a chance.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
I guess looking around, everyone has signed players. I honestly don't know how good or bad some of them are, and whether ours are decent or duds, but it's going to be interesting finding out!

yticretexe

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that we've been exceptionally active for a January window. I can't remember us doing this much business - in January - for years.
For A year… had 5 last year as well. (I haven’t counted Cummings)

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Decent window. Added some depth and plenty of L1/ Championship experience too. Time will tell how they all bed in, but we *should* have enough to finish in a comfortable position.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree it doesn’t seem to that we’ve had much more than the average window, but we have sorted the key area, despite still being 1 short.

We actually have a big squad which was poorly put together in the summer. We probably do have a fairly big ‘unprecedented’ wage bill after January, but that’s because we’ve overstocked in certain areas and have about 4/5 professionals who don’t add much value to the squad.
Those were my own thoughts. However, if you take all the kids out of the equation I can only see Kite, Kyle Taylor and MacDonald or Woods GK as players unlikely to get on the bench. Of course when we get suspensions which will happen, loss of form, the need to rest a player, or the most likely scenario of a few injuries then even those three may be needed for the bench. There is another question as to whether a club of our size can afford or should have nine young professionals at any one time. I get the feeling if Gary doesn't feel they are likely to make it we may see The Night of the Long Knnives with the retained list

Last edited:

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
For A year… had 5 last year as well. (I haven’t counted Cummings)
5 or 6 if irc - Scott, Demi, Gary Woods, Aimson, McDonald and I couldn't remember if Joe White was Jan or Aug