• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Grecianpasty

We are one striker short.

sign of the chimes

Some good additions but on a very short term scale which is a concern. Still lacking a striker though.
As an outsider Mo Eisa is the eye-catching one - a player we were heavily linked with (or at least many of us were desperate to sign) when he went to Posh; again, as an outsider, he looks like a very ECFC 'project' sort of player - but quite surprised it's only a deal 'til the end of the season. Hope he works out and you've got an option of some sort.

Alli looks intriguing as well, but I'm a sucker for an unknown signing.

You look stronger coming out of the window than going in though, I think?

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah, I meant in terms of initial perceptions - definitely not intending to hold anyone to account later on!
I know and I don't mean to be awkward about it... Happy with the first two. Last four are all exciting but have question marks. The young Irish lad... Exciting, good YouTube video, but no idea. The Halifax winger/striker sounds very exciting business, but I've never seen him play. Eisa and Woods have real quality, but haven't shown it for a season or two, so hopefully we can get it out of them! If more than half do the business, I'm happy!

JGrecian23

As an outsider Mo Eisa is the eye-catching one - a player we were heavily linked with (or at least many of us were desperate to sign) when he went to Posh; again, as an outsider, he looks like a very ECFC 'project' sort of player - but quite surprised it's only a deal 'til the end of the season. Hope he works out and you've got an option of some sort.

Alli looks intriguing as well, but I'm a sucker for an unknown signing.

You look stronger coming out of the window than going in though, I think?
Eisa looks a fantastic addition. The worry (if you can call it a worry) is that he does well and we can't afford to sign him in the summer.

I'd have liked us to take the punt now if that was an option, but we'll never know.

Half of me wants him to get 10 goals and smash it, the other half wants him to get 3 or 4 and go under the radar, we get him and then he gets 30 next season! 😀

sign of the chimes

I suspect you are a happy bunny
Shown more intent this January than in any other under our current ownership, some activity borne out of necessity but things feel properly progressive whether we get promoted or not. I'll change my tune when Northampton thump us on Saturday ;-)

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Shown more intent this January than in any other under our current ownership, some activity borne out of necessity but things feel properly progressive whether we get promoted or not. I'll change my tune when Northampton thump us on Saturday ;-)
They are certainly not one of our favourite opponents ! :(

sign of the chimes

I know and I don't mean to be awkward about it... Happy with the first two. Last four are all exciting but have question marks. The young Irish lad... Exciting, good YouTube video, but no idea. The Halifax winger/striker sounds very exciting business, but I've never seen him play. Eisa and Woods have real quality, but haven't shown it for a season or two, so hopefully we can get it out of them! If more than half do the business, I'm happy!
Didn't think you or Devon Red were being awkward in the slightest - was just qualifying my question :)

I guess the benefit of Eisa being short term is that he's out-of-contract at MK at the end of the season (I think) so even if he is putting himself in the shop-window there should be little prospect of him phoning it in for the next three months; but think I'd honestly probably feel the same way as jgrecian. I'll be fascinated to see how some of the others develop under Caldwell and what the transfer activity looks like in the summer; feels like the outcome of this transfer window and probably the next will define his reign at SJP (from the outside, at least).

ryancooper327

Without putting a downer on things, I wouldn't say we spent 'unprecedented funds', Purrington, Alli, and Cummins couldn't have been too much combined and the other 3 were loans.

I still think a CF and a proper RB were needed, both permanent. That said, Eisa and Harris replaced Scott and Trevitt, Purrington replaced Mitchell, and Alli, Woods, and Cummins are additions with Cummins for the future.

We've grown the number of players available to GC so it has to be a positive window on the face of it.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Spose the question must be can you afford your window? Seen Pompey drop again and again over the years through mismanagement. What about that time you managed to find the only skint Saudi?

Last edited:

CWH-NYC_

So, are you happy with your transfer business. Have Flitcroft and Caldwell delivered?
I am happy, decent window in my view and considering what else has gone on in the window elsewhere I will give them 8/10.