• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
James Scott is a million pound player mate :LOL:
No Max. Mill Stone. You’re getting your Mills mixed up.

Grecianman135

£500k players don't want to come here. If we're paying £500k, it's probably because we're getting ripped off for a £250k player.
I honestly don't think we'd ever go over our all time record of £100k I honestly can't see it..

I hope I'm wrong but I just can't see the club justifying spending circa £100k plus on one player although we all know we need too and should do,but those in charge are so scared of a repeat of 2003 any money in that ballpark will be absolutely unjustifiable to the board.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It is becoming a Pane that's for sure
Looking on the bright side, we could always sign Tim Sills.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
These puns are a welcome distraction from the reality of the situation we're in, but we need more puns or I'll get angry again - there's been barely a trickle. Vent my spleen soon.

Exeter population growth: 11%
Plymouth population growth 3.2%

Things do not stand still

You also miss my original point - very often on these boards “investment” is a considered a dirty word, as if nothing can come of it and you’re just chucking it into a void. This isn’t the case when sensibly used. We’ve done it before with Nombe.

You say “This 'woe is us' attitude is generally so pointless in my opinion.”

Yet your entire post is drenched in woe
I don't quite know what you're trying to infer from your population statistics other than actually reaffirming my point about the Club being able to control what it can control - the tapping into the 11% growth in population and targeting it. Who has said things stand still?

Where have I or the majority of people dismayed at the word investment? A lot of people are just advocates of the idea that any 'investment' is done properly with the proper due diligence, especially given the fact that it is likely to be an 'unprecedented' amount for this club. That's not anti-investment or anti-paying regular transfer fees. We've done it well with some players, we've done it poorly with some players. Unless I'm mistaken, and if I am my apologies, but I've not seen one person say they don't want us spending the 'unprecedented' budget. Everyone want's us to sign some players and everyone should IMO be happy that the Club is doing all it can. Yes, argue it's 6 months too late or whatever you want, but in the here and now, everyone is happy the Club have taken this decision and hopefully the money invested by those who make the decisions turns out to be on the right players.

How is my post drenched in woe? Quite the opposite in fact if you look at my point. Advocating that, rather than moaning and making worthless comparisons between us club's that realistically aren't at the same level as us, effort and energy is invested on improving what we can improve, within the parameters we have and trying to improve the Club in those ways. Understanding ones limitations but looking for any source of viable improvement is not displaying woe.

When those parameters are able to be widened, then things are recalculated and scope can be increased which is fantastic.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't quite know what you're trying to infer from your population statistics other than actually reaffirming my point about the Club being able to control what it can control - the tapping into the 11% growth in population and targeting it. Who has said things stand still?

Where have I or the majority of people dismayed at the word investment? A lot of people are just advocates of the idea that any 'investment' is done properly with the proper due diligence, especially given the fact that it is likely to be an 'unprecedented' amount for this club. That's not anti-investment or anti-paying regular transfer fees. We've done it well with some players, we've done it poorly with some players. Unless I'm mistaken, and if I am my apologies, but I've not seen one person say they don't want us spending the 'unprecedented' budget. Everyone want's us to sign some players and everyone should IMO be happy that the Club is doing all it can. Yes, argue it's 6 months too late or whatever you want, but in the here and now, everyone is happy the Club have taken this decision and hopefully the money invested by those who make the decisions turns out to be on the right players.

How is my post drenched in woe? Quite the opposite in fact if you look at my point. Advocating that, rather than moaning and making worthless comparisons between us club's that realistically aren't at the same level as us, effort and energy is invested on improving what we can improve, within the parameters we have and trying to improve the Club in those ways. Understanding ones limitations but looking for any source of viable improvement is not displaying woe.

When those parameters are able to be widened, then things are recalculated and scope can be increased which is fantastic.
I wasn’t making worthless comparison, I’ve already explained the point I was making

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
You’re misunderstanding what I’m saying if you think I’m pushing for us to spend 500k on a player

Our much lauded academy system is a money maker for us but is likely to be dwarfed in one deal for Argyle from a transfer they made six months ago. Football is moving fast and I don’t believe our very narrow and limited way of making ££ is a good view for the future - especially when those in green are also developing an academy to far eclipse our own.

This isn’t really about Argyle but the increasing reality around us that other clubs will overtake us due to the injections of cash they’re receiving, particularly from the states. I really worry about our ability to compete and we can see it playing out again in hey another transfer window. Not helped by a manager way out of his depth of course.

Some big flashing warning signs. Eventually change will come about, I suspect when it’s too late.
One for Mr Exiled

PeteUni1984_7

The BBC can't just make stuff up. That would have to have been briefed to them. Other media outlets on the other hand...
The BBC make plenty of stuff up, especially when it relates to woke or jewish stuff

Smithyno6

Jamille Matt was a bored joke but some serious source tells me Hartridge to Rovers.

Jamille Matt was a bored joke but some serious source tells me Hartridge to Rovers.
I can see it, out of contract in the summer. It's a shame if it happens, but for his own sake it would be better for his career right now.