• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Problem is, the market has moved substantially since Nombe signed

We probably have to pay at least double to get an equivalent now (£240k+?)

Note that Argyle are about to make mega bucks on a player they bought six months ago. It's often put out there how "investment" can help grow a club. The £1million Hallett coughed up looks like a very sensible gamble indeed on Whittaker. They will likely make more than any of our windfalls put together... in 6 months.
Everything is relative I guess in that we cant take a calculated gamble and 'invest' circa £1M our equivalent was 100k. If Argyle receive less that 12 times their investment then we have still done better :)

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Everything is relative I guess in that we cant take a calculated gamble and 'invest' circa £1M our equivalent was 100k. If Argyle receive less that 12 times their investment then we have still done better :)
It's why being tethered to this model is an issue, because whilst we may have done better on the multiples, the end results is millions of pounds difference...

Grecian Max

Should have sacked him and in a new guy with an exciting new project to sell

If you're a player would you look at us falling like a stone and want to join? Especially when we don't pay top dollar

Club have screwed themselves over sticking with this guy

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Problem is, the market has moved substantially since Nombe signed

We probably have to pay at least double to get an equivalent now (£240k+?)

Note that Argyle are about to make mega bucks on a player they bought six months ago. It's often put out there how "investment" can help grow a club. The £1million Hallett coughed up looks like a very sensible gamble indeed on Whittaker. They will likely make more than any of our windfalls put together... in 6 months.
Don't think it's moved that much, tbh, but it's hard to work out what an equivalent gamble to Nombe would be, right now. There was obviously a not insignificant chance he'd be a flop. Only had a handful of goals, obvious flaws in his game, etc. Think it was just good recruitment. Luck as well, of course. Same combination with Whittaker.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Agree with you on most of this stuff, and I can understand wanting to give people the benefit, but I really think it's excessively generous to talk about hindsight. I can't understand how at one point people thought we might actually not need anybody to play up front.
Don't disagree with you here Edwin. I think we really let ourselves down at the end of the summer window and to go into a League One season with no firepower was really poor. I thought we needed another forward brought in even if Nombe stayed, so once he left we needed two. People can argue that we brought in Muskwe, but there still should have been at least another forward brought in.

Let's just hope that lessons have been learned, as our ability to stay in this division depends on the next 2 weeks!

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Muskwe coming back? i’ve heard it all. 😀

that blokes performance at Fleetwood was appalling IMO why would we ever want him to return is beyond me.

no disrespect to the lad i’m sure he’s a nice bloke etc and will probably prove me to be completely wrong but that performance was as unforgivable as you’ll see at professional level in terms of effort.

All the pre transfer window talk from Hawker & Caldwell is simply not being backed up by the club in terms of excitement , news or more importantly actual players arriving…

we may well stay up in league 1 come May regardless of incomings or outgoings but either way the way this season has turned panned out has been so unenjoyable in pretty much every aspect.

I remember watching Jay Stansfield bang in a hat trick back end of last season, it was a warm afternoon we played good football and the atmosphere and vibe around the club and the ground was really good and an environment i decided to introduce my 7 year old lad too and he loved he wanted to support his local team.

The last 2 games i’ve taken him too he’s said “he’s bored” and wants to go home…

it’s such a shame we didn’t kick on.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
THIS WINDOW IS SO BORING
It is becoming a Pane that's for sure

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
It is becoming a Pane that's for sure
There's sill time

It's why being tethered to this model is an issue, because whilst we may have done better on the multiples, the end results is millions of pounds difference...
Whilst the model is and can be an issue to a certain degree with regard to transfer/squad funding it certainly isn't the main issue so not really a fair comparison to make, otherwise you might aswell lament us for not being able to compete with Manchester United and then be all doom and gloom when reality sets in and you realise we can't. This 'woe is us' attitude is generally so pointless in my opinion.

With the financial regulations in place across English Football (although these differ from Championship to Leagues 1&2), the main issue and difference between Club's like us and those down the road is that they get roughly double our attendance for every home game and roughly triple our annual turnover or revenue (their term vs our term in accounts) each year. That's why they are in positions to take much bigger gambles in terms of transfers than us and then gain larger potential rewards.

Worthwhile comments regarding our ownership model, have to be done in comparisons with Club's of a similar size (in all aspects).

All any club our size can do is focus on the things that they can control. Tapping into slight increases in the local population, getting them to come to games regularly, making attractive business propositions and partnerships, investing more and improving things that does earn you money (i.e the Academy) etc in order to increase revenue and turnover. All of which are often a gradual, slow, marginal gain type process.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
We think very similarly in terms of the limitations of having a wholly Trust owned club. However, whilst I think anything above 200k is probably the ceiling for us in terms of a transfer fee under the current model I don't see that changing much even if we sold the club tomorrow. Clubs of 'our size' dont tend to spend much on transfer fees at all and a private owner wouldnt splurge 500k on a player either imo