• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'd kindly suggest that the 6k+ yesterday was heavily influenced by season ticket holders... that absolutely will not maintain, anywhere near, their current levels next season. The longer Caldwell remains, the longer the hangover (when he inevitably departs), and fewer season tickets we will sell.
I think there were quite a few ST holders that didn't turn up yesterday

Pete Martin (CTID)

The question then is, do we want to attempt to push forward or stay and do what we have always done?
I am wondering whether we actually have a choice.

Rosencrantz

I am wondering whether we actually have a choice.
And that is the wider philosophical point. In reality, what happened to us last time has happened again but a season earlier. We had a (young) squad built over two or three seasons which developed into a squad performing at more than their value. When that happens, it is always likely to be the case that it will break up as those players exercise their new found value in the market, or leave for more money or to further their careers.

The challenge is then to rebuild the squad at a higher level than previously, probably with a bit more budget. However to extract the same level of value that you had with those that have left immediately is extremely difficult. I wouldn't say it was impossible but pretty unlikely. The mission then is to not drop back too far before you start to move forward again. Basically, can we avoid relegation this time which we didn't last time.

Are we doing the same strategy as last time with transfers which did lead to relegation and then took some time to stabilise? I don't think we are. I do think the players we have signed, in the main, are decent to good. We all know where we are lacking though. Are we aiming too high in our targets, looking for the perfect striker or should we revert to what we have done previously and be maybe more realistic in what we can attract? Either way, this coming week and a bit is a big one for the club and for Caldwell as it will have a massive bearing on whether we rinse and repeat or keep our heads above water to attempt the continued rebuild.

Ash

The missus can look after herself a while in labour Ash but we need an update on wee Gary is he a bruiser :)

Yes, it's a boy! Born at 10.07pm last night, so we were able to watch the game on ifollow before leaving for the hospital.

And he can already jump higher than James Scott....

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
To think there was a time not so long ago that I was wishing I still had my two season tickets and could still get to games.I think the football on offer now would drive me crazy.
I’m in exactly the same situation money down the drain

Banksy

I’m in exactly the same situation money down the drain
I feel for you SB. All you want is a bit of weekend enjoyment and supporting your local club.Sadly, you and everyone else are not getting value for money at the moment and seemingly it won’t change under this management.If I’d still been in Exeter I would have had difficulty justifying the cost of my two season tickets plus the inevitable extras that went with them.Bit sad after supporting the club for so long between spells of youth and amateur football involvement.Like you probably I can still remember players like Ted Calland! ( Could have done with him at cf now!)
Hate to say it but I think we’re going down with a bump this season , just hope we don’t carry on in the same vein in League Two with no safety net then to non league.Also that we don’t expend too much of our reserves backing a lost cause this season. It’s a big shame after all we’ve built up over the last several seasons.

Grecian Max

I feel for you SB. All you want is a bit of weekend enjoyment and supporting your local club.Sadly, you and everyone else are not getting value for money at the moment and seemingly it won’t change under this management.If I’d still been in Exeter I would have had difficulty justifying the cost of my two season tickets plus the inevitable extras that went with them.Bit sad after supporting the club for so long between spells of youth and amateur football involvement.Like you probably I can still remember players like Ted Calland! ( Could have done with him at cf now!)
Hate to say it but I think we’re going down with a bump this season , just hope we don’t carry on in the same vein in League Two with no safety net then to non league.Also that we don’t expend too much of our reserves backing a lost cause this season. It’s a big shame after all we’ve built up over the last several seasons.
They’re chucking huge opportunities to grow the club away because of this fixation on giving managers “time”

The floaters will not bother next season and the hardcore will likely be less inclined to by season tickets

Then we will be given the spiel about how we’ve had to cut the budget due to tumbling attendances

Well done all

Colesman Ballz

Given that neither David or Al were elected in the recent Trust election you can only conclude that the status quo is entirely what the vast majority of fans want. If there is no appetite to even change the faces round the table there is no chance that ownership will even be on the agenda let alone change.
Ahem, this is the transfer window thread, NOT the Trust re-run election thread ! :unsure:

tavyred

They’re chucking huge opportunities to grow the club away because of this fixation on giving managers “time”

The floaters will not bother next season and the hardcore will likely be less inclined to by season tickets

Then we will be given the spiel about how we’ve had to cut the budget due to tumbling attendances

Well done all
We’ve hit the ‘growth’ brick wall unfortunately and it won’t be enough, just as it wasn’t enough the previous times we’ve played at this level.
From memory we’ve tried both sacking and keeping our manager in the past when we’ve started struggling in the third tier, it’s not changed anything in the end.

paperclip

Well done all
I've been a season ticket holder since the late 80's, but if Caldwell remains at the club then I won't be renewing next season, irrespective of which division City play in. I don't think I have ever felt as disconnected with the club as I do currently, and it has now become a chore to attend home games. I might go to the odd game but I certainly won't be watching every week, it's just nowhere near entertaining. Someone else can have my seat, they are welcome to it.