• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

tonykellowfan

The thing is you could easily argue that if MK had Jevani Brown yesterday instead of us they would have won by a country mile.

His assists and goals are such that we should simply decline all offers as it is far better that he plays for us for the rest of the season than take a transfer fee for him.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
The thing is you could easily argue that if MK had Jevani Brown yesterday instead of us they would have won by a country mile.

His assists and goals are such that we should simply decline all offers as it is far better that he plays for us for the rest of the season than take a transfer fee for him.
I guess the question would be, with us relatively safe (hopefully with or without Jev), are we better cashing in now?

milts

Let’s keep the squad together and see where it takes us. If we finish the season strongly do we have more chance of retaining some of them in the summer as a result?

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't suppose J Brown is allowed to have a say in the matter?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster

We need to retain Jevani for the rest of the season. Along with Key and Collins we need to retain these players.

Unless the bids are huge, I personally see little value in selling any of them now.

Bridgy 81

I believe Jevani spent some time in the MK Dons youth system and has had quite a few different clubs subsequently over his career and all of them, bar one, are only about an hour or so from Milton Keynes.
The only one which isn’t was his last one before joining us (and Colchester is less than 2 hours away).
Presumably then the area around Milton Keynes is his neck of the woods?
I noticed that in his post match interview yesterday it was mentioned that some of his family were supporting him at the match.
Also he was asked how he felt about playing in such a large stadium but with so few people in it.
He said it didn’t bother him as he just focuses on his performance.
I reckon all things being equal and MK Dons offering him a decent deal he might actually end up there.

Red Bill

We need to retain Jevani for the rest of the season. Along with Key and Collins we need to retain these players.

Unless the bids are huge, I personally see little value in selling any of them now.
Completely agree, certainly re Jev. No matter how good he's been, I would doubt anyone's going to offer that much for a player they can get for nothing in the summer. Sometimes a players worth on the pitch is more than it is in the bank! Wr will get money for Archie and Josh anyway,, our experience of tribunal compensation indicates that will probably be significantly lower than what they're worth, but sometimes you have to look to the future, and I think what this team can achieve this season with all 3 in the side, will present and image of a club going places that will be far more alluring to players we will be hoping to sigh in the summer, than one that has let all its best players go at the first opportunity and opted simply for L1 survival.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Completely agree, certainly re Jev. No matter how good he's been, I would doubt anyone's going to offer that much for a player they can get for nothing in the summer. Sometimes a players worth on the pitch is more than it is in the bank! Wr will get money for Archie and Josh anyway,, our experience of tribunal compensation indicates that will probably be significantly lower than what they're worth, but sometimes you have to look to the future, and I think what this team can achieve this season with all 3 in the side, will present and image of a club going places that will be far more alluring to players we will be hoping to sigh in the summer, than one that has let all its best players go at the first opportunity and opted simply for L1 survival.
Either way though we will get compensation for both players which will include a sell on etc. Also I think Ethan Ampadu maybe sold this summer, of which we will get 20% of that. Even at £12m, we would get £2.4m in our bank account. Whilst we cannot rely on that, obviously, We should still have an extra £500,000-£750,000 in the club during the summer. Assuming Nombe doesn't leave

I really see little value in selling now, unless it is literally a massive offer.

milts

I don't suppose J Brown is allowed to have a say in the matter?
Legally no - he's under contract.

Bridgy 81

Just as I start feeling upbeat about our situation and future prospects I think of something or read something on here that gets me fretting again.
Don’t worry though this is my usual Exeter City supporting pattern and has been for many years.
If all the players leave (some maybe in the next couple of days or more likely most at the end of the season) that we expect to or think might i.e. Jamal, Key, Collins, Jevani, Nombe and obviously Stanno, Gary and his recruitment colleagues are going to have a significant team/squad rebuilding job.
I sense it maybe an exciting (read - ‘stressful’) summer ahead.