• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Interesting that Spireite's criticism of Caldwell's signings was principally that they were kids from higher club academies who weren't up for/able to cope with the fight.

Assuming that's right, then it should be a lesson easily learnt (after all 'you win nothing with kids';))

And that the gaps in our squad need filling with some experienced players. We all know that, but getting/affording experienced players who are good enough to be regulars in a mid table League One side is always going to be tricky for ECFC.

ExmouthMart

Interesting that Spireite's criticism of Caldwell's signings was principally that they were kids from higher club academies who weren't up for/able to cope with the fight.

Assuming that's right, then it should be a lesson easily learnt (after all 'you win nothing with kids';))

And that the gaps in our squad need filling with some experienced players. We all know that, but getting/affording experienced players who are good enough to be regulars in a mid table League One side is always going to be tricky for ECFC.
Depends what money is available for January signings. More likely loan signings and then see if we stay up. I might be wrong but are Nombe, Caprice and Sweeney the only senior players under contract for next season?! This will be for me where Caldwell will prove if he’s any good and can sign the necessary players to get us the balance between the academy products which we completely rely on for sell on and filling the first team and players that add something but without being permanently injured or so out of form they can’t get beyond the bench. It all comes down to money and as we all know we don’t have much and certainly can’t compete on wages etc. plus the old chestnut of being miles from anywhere. Expectations may need to be reigned in by some people. Sensible decisions need to be made that don’t jeopardise the future of the Club.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Depends what money is available for January signings. More likely loan signings and then see if we stay up. I might be wrong but are Nombe, Caprice and Sweeney the only senior players under contract for next season?! This will be for me where Caldwell will prove if he’s any good and can sign the necessary players to get us the balance between the academy products which we completely rely on for sell on and filling the first team and players that add something but without being permanently injured or so out of form they can’t get beyond the bench. It all comes down to money and as we all know we don’t have much and certainly can’t compete on wages etc. plus the old chestnut of being miles from anywhere. Expectations may need to be reigned in by some people. Sensible decisions need to be made that don’t jeopardise the future of the Club.
I believe the following players are under contract next season:
Lee
Caprice
Sweeney
Hartridge
Diabate
Dieng
Kite
Taylor
Coley
Nombe - Still expect him to leave this summer
Cox

Players out of contract:
Blackman
Stubbs
Sparkes
Grounds
Jay
Collins - Would still get compensation
Key - Would still get compensation
Brown

It will certainly be an interesting January and Summer, that's for sure!!

StudentGrecian

In the my new football club podcast he was talking up premier league loans, so I think it’s still a part of his thinking. But hopefully he’s seen that’s not we need with this current squad.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I believe the following players are under contract next season:
Lee
Caprice
Sweeney
Hartridge
Diabate
Dieng
Kite
Taylor
Coley
Nombe - Still expect him to leave this summer
Cox

Players out of contract:
Blackman
Stubbs
Sparkes
Grounds
Jay
Brown

It will certainly be an interesting January and Summer, that's for sure!!
We would also get compensation for Sparkes as well.
Obviously I hope we retain Collins, Sparkes and Key along with Brown.
The rest is seriously up for debate at this moment

andrew p long

In the my new football club podcast he was talking up premier league loans, so I think it’s still a part of his thinking. But hopefully he’s seen that’s not we need with this current squad.
Indeed. (I wish there was a smiley for 'agreed, but with a hint of mild concern'!)

Average Joe

Players out of contract:

Blackman - I think Blackman is over rated and possibly a higher earner, on current form I think he's lucky to be playing in league one.

Stubbs - You can't miss what you do not have, easily replaceable

Sparkes - Again replaceable

Grounds - Will miss grounds if he does not stay, Grounds on his day is good enough for the league above, just needs to be on his day, we will find it hard to replace grounds

Jay - Really good league two player, struggles in league one.

Brown - Will miss Brown, he's come here, served his contract and a player at browns ability is not replaceable

[/QUOTE]

Bridgy 81

Players out of contract:

Blackman - I think Blackman is over rated and possibly a higher earner, on current form I think he's lucky to be playing in league one.

Grounds - Will miss grounds if he does not stay, Grounds on his day is good enough for the league above, just needs to be on his day, we will find it hard to replace grounds

Brown - Will miss Brown, he's come here, served his contract and a player at browns ability is not replaceable
[/QUOTE]
I’m not disputing your list but, out of interest, how do you know these are the players out of contract next summer?
Is this information in the public realm somewhere (if so, I’d be interested to see that) or are you going off of announcements made for confirmed contract extensions beyond 2022/23 for other members of the squad?
Thanks.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Players out of contract:

[/QUOTE]
Matt Jay is a difficult one. I personally would be tempted if we lose Brown, Nombe etc. to give him a further year. I personally Believe Jay can be good at league one level, but at the moment he is well behind Nombe, Stanno and Brown for one of those 3 positions.

Grounds - Only really if he is coaching he might do player coach. Certainly wouldn't retain just as a player

Blackman - I think there is better out there. But see how he does between now and the end of the season.

Stubbs - Will be gone.

Sparkes - Would like to keep if possible, if not then compensation due

Collins - Need to try and retain as much as possible. But compensation due if not

Key - Same as Collins

Brown - Same as Collins and Key, but no monies should he go.

andrew p long

I’m not disputing your list but, out of interest, how do you know these are the players out of contract next summer?
Is this information in the public realm somewhere (if so, I’d be interested to see that) or are you going off of announcements made for confirmed contract extensions beyond 2022/23 for other members of the squad?
Thanks.
[/QUOTE]

Most of these we know from a combination of a) public announcement of the length of a contract when the player signs and b) no news about a contract extension. Contract extensions usually/often get announced too. So for example Josh Key was announced as a 2.5 year contract two January's ago and there hasn't a contract extension.

And the very occasional like Matt Jay who has said in interview 'its well known I'm out of contract at the end of the season'.