• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Average Joe

the one thing i would say for ECFC is we seemingly have a very good head of recruitment
Who ever was the main person responsible for signing the last 13 signings can definitely remain the main person (hoping it wasn't MT)

Signings like Nombe and Brown are more then welcome, we having managed to make the only really poor signing of the last couple of years into a good coach.

There's someone, or something about our club where things just seem to click..

Bridgy 81

That’s quite funny about the ‘Head of Recruitment’, as in he heads up a whole team, scouring the Leagues for possible signings. No one had ever heard of him till Taylor started talking him up.
I wouldn’t say no one had heard of Marcus before Matt “talked him up” or what his role is, as he spoke about it in detail at a Senior Reds meeting some time ago.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I wouldn’t say no one had heard of Marcus before Matt “talked him up” or what his role is, as he spoke about it in detail at a Senior Reds meeting some time ago.
September 2019

red1

Our Head of Recruitment has done a good job over last couple of seasons. Not sure who was responsible for Harper tho 🤷🏻‍♂️

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Our Head of Recruitment has done a good job over last couple of seasons. Not sure who was responsible for Harper tho 🤷🏻‍♂️
In fairness to harper he's looked decent but quite why he's not had a single minute since Caldwell is weird but I can't see him staying beyond 1st January

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
In fairness to harper he's looked decent but quite why he's not had a single minute since Caldwell is weird but I can't see him staying beyond 1st January
Not sure about decent, he's been very hit and miss. When he's good he's decent, when he's poor he's absolutely awful.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure about decent, he's been very hit and miss. When he's good he's decent, when he's poor he's absolutely awful.
[/QUOTE
I think it's the right decision for harper to go back as we can do better for the sort of money he is on and we can reallocate that money across the squad so comfortable with him not playing ATM, just weird he's not had a single minute since Caldwell took over as would've expected a little time for him on the pitch

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's one of those where we don't know what he's like behind the scenes. Does he work hard enough? Is he a bad egg? Has the Guildhall brawl had a negative impact on him? Who knows?

His performances when given an opportunity haven't warranted the apparent high wages so like you said, we are better off sending him back and reinvesting the wages elsewhere (defence).

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's one of those where we don't know what he's like behind the scenes. Does he work hard enough? Is he a bad egg? Has the Guildhall brawl had a negative impact on him? Who knows?

His performances when given an opportunity haven't warranted the apparent high wages so like you said, we are better off sending him back and reinvesting the wages elsewhere (defence).
Exactly. Maybe attitude is an issue. Either way he won't be here in January and as said that gives us a good chunk of flexibility along with Smith's wages and the additional incomes from the FA Cup, TV Monies etc. along with increased gates.

Bridgy 81

Hopefully we’re sufficiently organized to make our new signings early in the transfer window.
If so, we could have some much needed (especially defensive) additions to the squad in under 2 weeks time.
But if it drags on until the end of January it will mean we would have played another 5 games that month so it’ll lessen the potential impact our new players will be able to make on the remainder of our season.