• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Let's hope we're better prepared than the season we were relegated from league one.
We are in a far better position now. We were on the verge of going bust then due to woeful financial management by the then Club Board.

C j phill

I'm assuming that at some stage in the next season or two, "transfer" income money will flow to us from the "Ampadu" situation.

Either he starts to cement his place with Chelsea, in which case we start to get good value add-ons, or he gets transferred, in which case we get a share of the transfer fee.

I can't imagine that Chelsea will let him run his contract down, so that he leaves on a free, so the issue is more, when the money arrives, rather than if.

Colesman Ballz

I'm assuming that at some stage in the next season or two, "transfer" income money will flow to us from the "Ampadu" situation.

Either he starts to cement his place with Chelsea, in which case we start to get good value add-ons, or he gets transferred, in which case we get a share of the transfer fee.

I can't imagine that Chelsea will let him run his contract down, so that he leaves on a free, so the issue is more, when the money arrives, rather than if.
In the mean time we will be due to continue to receive our 20% share of his loan fees of course.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
In the mean time we will be due to continue to receive our 20% share of his loan fees of course.
unless he goes back to Sheff Utd ...................

Alistair20000

We are in a far better position now. We were on the verge of going bust then due to woeful financial management by the then Club Board.
Were the Trust Board also partly responsible for the mismanagement CB ?

While we are nervously looking over our shoulders about our prospects for next season can someone please explain why there are still 4 teams relegated from L1? When you consider there are 24 teams in all leagues from the Championship down to the Conference it makes little sense to me that there are 3, 4 and 2 teams relegated respectively (although having less between L2 and Conf is understandable). Could it be that this is a hangover from the days when the second tier had fewer teams? Whatever the reason now is definitely a good time to petition the number going down and up between L1 and L2 reduced to 3!!

andrew p long

While we are nervously looking over our shoulders about our prospects for next season can someone please explain why there are still 4 teams relegated from L1? When you consider there are 24 teams in all leagues from the Championship down to the Conference it makes little sense to me that there are 3, 4 and 2 teams relegated respectively (although having less between L2 and Conf is understandable). Could it be that this is a hangover from the days when the second tier had fewer teams? Whatever the reason now is definitely a good time to petition the number going down and up between L1 and L2 reduced to 3!!
and the number between League 2 and the Conference/National League increased to 3 as well? - meaning a consistent 3 up 3 down across all 4 interchanges between the 5 fully professional leagues?

andrew p long

Push is indeed coming to shove. IIRC Ethan has 18 months left on his contract, which expires summer 2024 when he is 23, entitling Chelsea to a Tribunal determined fee if he leaves on the expiry of his contract. Presumably (after 4 seasons out on loan) Ethan will refuse Chelsea offers to extend his contract. The logical best outcome for all parties is (IMHO) a sale this summer with one year left. And we get 20% of that fee.

Colesman Ballz

No this could be seen as a microcosm of the break-away Super League proposals, ie a move towards the US sport franchise system. Promotion and relegation is the bedrock of our game and the competition therein. The only place there is a bottleneck of talent is between League 2 and the National League and numbers there need to be increased. At all other levels you can take the existence of "yo-yo" clubs as proof that the system is in rude health, allowing teams to find their natural levels. The elephant in the room which distorts this is "financial doping" and in particular parachute payments, which should be barred.

C j phill

Push is indeed coming to shove. IIRC Ethan has 18 months left on his contract, which expires summer 2024 when he is 23, entitling Chelsea to a Tribunal determined fee if he leaves on the expiry of his contract. Presumably (after 4 seasons out on loan) Ethan will refuse Chelsea offers to extend his contract. The logical best outcome for all parties is (IMHO) a sale this summer with one year left. And we get 20% of that fee.
A sale by Chelsea, I assume, would be the best financial outcome for City. We don't know what the drivers are for the player. If it's to maximise his earning, he may renew his Chelsea contract and simply eternally go out on loan, which wouldn't be fantastic news for City. If it's to play regularly at his highest possible level, then a permanent transfer would be best for City. Either way, if seems to me that our next chunk of major money depends up what Ethan decides to do, and you say, during the next 18 months.