• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Are you sure about this? Presumably if a single club offers the amount specified in the release clause then we're obliged to accept their offer. If, however, the release clause specifies, say, 500k and Club A offers us 500k and Club B offers us 600k then we can elect to sell to the club making the highest offer.
No it’d be down to the player if a club was silly enough to offer above the release clause.

Cowshed Grecian

Are you sure about this? Presumably if a single club offers the amount specified in the release clause then we're obliged to accept their offer. If, however, the release clause specifies, say, 500k and Club A offers us 500k and Club B offers us 600k then we can elect to sell to the club making the highest offer.
Well no egg because your hands are tied as soon as the 500k is met. Down to the player/agent.

C j phill

No we can't. An agreed release clause being met is just that, it is being met. We cannot select either bid if it meets the threshold and therefore in legal terms our only option is to accept the offer in accordance with the min fee release. The amount of clubs that meet that offer is irrelevant
Wasn't this the case with Stockley? From memory, a number of clubs bid on his release clause sum ( including, I think, MK Don's when Paul Tisdale was manager) and the choice rested with the player. I assume, in this instance, if a club was prepared to pay X above the clause sum, they would use that as a payment to the player, to entice him to sign for them.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
This is (if I've got this right) a common misunderstanding.

There was a case a couple of years ago where a non league club received an offer way in excess of the release clause (which obviously the intending buyer didn't know about). The club accepted but the player rejected the offer to move (oop north). Then another club - more local IIRC - came in and offered the amount of the release clause. The players club went bananas and tried to start a campaign saying that this sort of behaviour would finish football (or similar hyperbole). There was - and is - nothing they could do about it.

The effect of a release clause is that the club cannot refuse to sell at that price. Its then up to the player whether he wants to move to whichever of the clubs has met the release clause.

andrew p long

as mentioned, once the amount of the release clause is met, the effect is that the player is free to speak to, and sign for, any club that has met the terms of the release clause.

Average Joe

It would be however in his agents best interest to try and persuade the move to the highest bidder. I highly doubt any club will offer above the release clause.

manc grecian

Not this again

ianaplincorners

It would be however in his agents best interest to try and persuade the move to the highest bidder. I highly doubt any club will offer above the release clause.
why? just because it's the highest bid doesn't mean the offer to the player will be higher.

milts

Why would it?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not this again
Apologies. I shall endeavour to pay more attention in future.