• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary Caldwell Apraisal

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Can somebody PLEASE sort the spelling out on this thread ... or am I missing something?
I know my post looks awful, I'm blaming mobile auto correct.🤨. (Must get used to proof reading until I get my laptop fixed).

Grecian2K

Can somebody PLEASE sort the spelling out on this thread ... or am I missing something?
I have to agree.
It does seem to often random (and sometimes unrelated "corrections" to the actual words - and/or intentions) that were actually typed)
I can only assumed that the "new extra-red version" has been powered by the latest emerging bot module, HAI*
*Hants Aldershot Incorrection

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have to agree.
It does seem to often random (and sometimes unrelated "corrections" to the actual words - and/or intentions) that were actually typed)
I can only assumed that the "new extra-red version" has been powered by the latest emerging bot module, HAI*
*Hants Aldershot Incorrection
Forget the spelling, what the frick does any of this mean?

rifraf

It's a matter of standards. Each find their own.

fred binneys head

It means G2K will have a hangover this morning.

tonykellowfan

I'll give Gary 7 out of 10 for this season. I'll give myself 4 out of 10 for doubting him.

haka

A fair appraisal would be to consider the alternative history: Caldwell is sacked in Dec/Jan, and a new manager has a clear mission: save City from the drop. He promises he will. His confidence lifts the players, the fans, the mood. New signings lift the mood too.

Imagine that the team had then battled through, winning a few, losing a few, and finally achieved mathematical safety after a win at Northampton. And with a game to spare! Crack open the champagne, and a vote of thanks to the board for saving ECFC. Job done.

This isn't pure fantasy, most of us can remember previous seasons when City left it very late to stay up (Blake's team at Scunthorpe 2001, Tisdale 2010, Alan Ball, Brian Godfrey and so on). Relief all round.

Well, Caldwell did a lot more than that. He has easily surpassed a level that would have kept any replacement manager in the job for next season. Or, if we assess it from the start of the season, a level that surpassed almost everybody's expectations (see the prediction thread for evidence of this).

As work appraisals go, that's a pretty good one.

tom_ecfc

Fantastic, awful, fantastic!

Bridgy 81

I think I was one of GC and his coaching team’s more patient supporters during our horrific run late last year.
At the time I was willing to attribute a lot of the difficulties were we experiencing to the absence of many players through injury and our complete lack of anything resembling a competent forward line.
But I snapped after our defeat at Cambridge 22nd December and was (for me at least) uncharacteristically critical.
Then just four days later on Boxing Day we beat Wycombe at home with the winner coming from a resurgent Sonny Cox.
That result kickstarted the magnificent run that we’re still enjoying and in terms of points and performances has made us one of the best teams in the league during the second half of the season.
Very well done to GC and his colleagues for their determination, resilience and hard work.
I like to think I played my part in this though.
A bit like a parent or a carer of a child who rarely raises their voice but on the rare and unusual occasion they do it invariably and immediately has the desired effect.
You’re welcome.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I lasted up to the Port Vale game on the 9th Dec. I had even outlasted my two sons in sticking with Gary but the loss to Vale was for me the last chance saloon for GC, and I felt awful in hindsight joining in the Caldwell Out chants. I fell out of love totally with City at that point and didnt return until the new year game with Reading. I should have known better having watched a whole heap of utter garbage for 40 years but we have been spoilt in recent years. I'm now 100 per cent backing Gary and wont be flip flopping no more. So looking forward to next season and those pre season games at Tivvy and the like can't come soon enough :)