• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary Caldwell Apraisal

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Always said I would make my assessment of his abilities after 10 games of his first full season with us. We're nearly there (including Cup matches) and I think it's fair to say he's a very good manager indeed, (must say I've suspected as much from the moment we got him, well gone to the board for a apointing him).
First season all we wanted was mid table safety which was assured fairly early, even the much vaunted 6 defeats in a row didn't phase us. Caldwell didn't put a foot wrong and, working with Matt Taylors team, achieved the sort of L1 respectability that I have always wanted from our club.
Caldwell strikes me as an ambitious manager and, with success will move on at some point, probably when he can take us no further such as when it becomes apparent that we cannot compete with other clubs due to our financial limitations. This was alluded to by Taylor before he left us for Rotherham.
This season we have had early success relying on an unusual investment in loanees. Great in the short term great football and results have put us top, unbelievable! Sell out matches every other week, money coming in only limited by our ground capacity.
In the long term not so good and when those loanees go back to their parent clubs it will only be their clubs chairmen rubbing their hands together, we will not have the usual financial bonus of cashing in on those players and doubt we will be able to afford to buy them (which is what Argyle have done).
But this is about Caldwell who has merely done all that could be asked of him in finding good available players on the cheap. He has stated that we are at a point between youth development and the first team where we have very few players ready to break into the team. but with so many promising youth leaving before they have even got to the first team it's hard to see us ever being able to field teams of multiple academy boys at this level. No players to sell, no money in the kitty.
Confident we'll do well under GC this season, commitment and top marks for his efforts, think he'll go far, got to say I'm enjoying it as much as anyone, but as a club shouldn't we be worried by short termism?

fred binneys head

We’ve just given about 5 lads new professional contracts. They’ll come good.

But I agree with your assessment of SGC - top marks from me. I honestly don’t think he could have done much better, his recruitment is great, his back room team is great, his communications are great, his commitment is great, the football we play is great, our league position is great.

Actually, we lost to argyle twice last season. Caldwell out.

Gilbert

I think that is a very fair assessment STURTZ. I think it is evident that he is a very good manager. I had my doubts that MT would have had a good season had he stayed and GC did well enough with that which he inherited. So far this season, the results have been good and the quality of football even better, the Park is full most weeks and the mood is positive - something of a golden period for City (long may it continue). In regard to short termism vs long term planning; I'm not sure that, that is his problem. I think the long term planning comes from those running the club and they should be very clear in their expectations, instructions and requirements of any manager they employ, whoever that may be. At this moment, I am a big GC fan!

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
The youth side isn’t down to GC is it? Tom Donati has that one presumably with input from GC on the end goal and then left to develop?

Obviously he keeps himself aware of what is happening and who is coming through but didn’t he say recently that he wanted the youngsters to show more grit but that’s not how it’s done in the academy. We also have the selection of JR Hartley on the bench but other than that I believe the academy is pretty much left to itself until the latter stages of the season when decisions are made However under the club structure it may be that everybody reports to GC I don’t know.

Anyway GC seems to have put together an amazing Squad, under most people’s radar and it’s brilliant to see all the doubters back tracking from their negative stances earlier.

He talks very well and has put together an excellent hybrid back room team mixing his own team with existing club members like Marcus and Nico and I love Perks’s enthusiasm at the end of matches with his jigs

He is obviously well connected with all our loan signings coming from Premiershite teams and the number of players he has been able to entice down from North of the border putting paid to the old tale of it’s difficult to get players down here. He also has shown an appreciation of what is available in the non league market which we haven’t seen for a long time with the quality signings of Harper and Cole giving them chances to resurrect their careers.

He is a very positive thinker and is introducing a new thought pattern to the squad that anything is achievable, dare I say it even promotion. He also knows the exact type of, not just player but personality that he wants within the squad.

He wants to bring success to the club and could well be the GOAT should he do so, particularly with the style of football we are currently seeing. This could also be part of the reason we have so many short term contracted players and loans with us not knowing the actual terms and costs of these players. Should success not be forthcoming then we are not tied to long term expensive players. Loans are also a danger in if they are successful then we run the risk of recall in January.

I believe we have given him a 4 year contract however my one concern over his longevity with us is him not moving his family down that said he could be waiting for the right property or numerous other reasons particularly with the uncertainty in football but at the moment a trust owned club and Gary Caldwell seem to be a perfect fit. Long may it continue.

UTC

tavyred

SGC is probably the best and most complete manager we’ve ever had, let’s enjoy him while we can, I fear he’ll be poached by a bigger club oop North sooner rather than later.
Short termism in the playing squad is the price we have to pay for operating at this elevated league position, we’re a smallish club and by definition we won’t be able to tie our better players down to much more than a single season if we’re playing well.

Gilbert

I think that is a very fair assessment STURTZ. I think it is evident that he is a very good manager. I had my doubts that MT would have had a good season had he stayed and GC did well enough with that which he inherited. So far this season, the results have been good and the quality of football even better, the Park is full most weeks and the mood is positive - something of a golden period for City (long may it continue). In regard to short termism vs long term planning; I'm not sure that, that is his problem. I think the long term planning comes from those running the club and they should be very clear in their expectations, instructions and requirements of any manager they employ, whoever that may be. At this moment, I am a big GC fan!
Oooo - And I love the way he gets the Trust and the community/fan led side of the club. The Trust video is not the only medium through which he communicates this and even in new player videos they often refer to how the Gaffer sold them the idea of how special SJP is and the connection with he fans. Not sure I remember anyone since Eamo being this much on board with the Trust vision. Don't know him personally but think of him as being a really good guy based on his affinity to the club.

Topsham Boy

Who doesn’t like a no nonsense Scottish manager who says it like it is?
Shankly, Jock Stein, Ferguson, Busby.
GC doing fine for me. Good recruitment and well connected , good style of football, emphasis on teamwork and team spirit, has a clear plan of what he wants and expects …..results and a full SJP are the outcome.

Topsham Boy

arthur

SGC is probably the best and most complete manager we’ve ever had
Agree, 100%

Grecian Max

Quality tactician. I think this was evident very early on when you could see him start to feed the ideas into how he wanted to play almost immediately v Derby and Argyle which was a tough start.

Player turnover was something other fans had "warned" us about and it's come to pass - however I think this time he's in a situation where he's not firefighting and can just focus on the job in hand at a stable club. I think he's a manager to build rather than quickly turn round a club.

Seeing a true Caldwell team this year has been great to watch so far; we dominate proceedings but with purpose - a key difference for me between GC and Tisdale.

Also his man management appears surprisingly good - Stanno clearly had a connection with him and he just seems to have a general father figure status, despite actually being pretty young.

I'm hopeful that the fanbase really start to side with his methods, it already seems to be happening in the stands. I know there were a lot of doubters but surely he's proved himself to at least be competent now?