• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Furlough the players to avoid a cashflow crisis

ex_user1234

Resigned
I'm sure you must be two people Ed, as no one person could be so conceited!
I'll let other people be the judge of that. I suspect you are not the best person to take personality advice from. You have come across as a deeply negative and judgemental person from the very first time I posted on Exeweb. It must suck to be so miserable, so I hope you can feel better soon.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
There doesn't seem to have been much discussion of the actual question here, in that I expect there are some very good reasons why the players have not been furloughed but nobody who would know has pointed them out. I don't know enough to answer why, but I don't really want the main business assets we have being effectively told their value is not great enough to support them through this period. While there might be a way for them to cut their income share a bit, if/once this is over we don't want them going off to clubs that they might feel would do more for them.

Legohead

Banned
I say furlough all staff and the players that want to leave and who have not understood and appreciated why furloughing was done at a fan owned bottom tier football club with zero income for months then let them leave for free and good riddance. They aren't the only ones up sh*t creek without a paddle.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
There doesn't seem to have been much discussion of the actual question here, in that I expect there are some very good reasons why the players have not been furloughed but nobody who would know has pointed them out. I don't know enough to answer why, but I don't really want the main business assets we have being effectively told their value is not great enough to support them through this period. While there might be a way for them to cut their income share a bit, if/once this is over we don't want them going off to clubs that they might feel would do more for them.
Surely the players will be furloughed or paid. I can't imagine that the club will just leave them to fend for themselves.

Legohead

Banned
Surely the players will be furloughed or paid. I can't imagine that the club will just leave them to fend for themselves.
I agree. It's important to let the club have time to decide what to do but there should only really be one viable option IMO. If the likes of Spurs and Liverpool are furloughing non playing staff then we can furlough playing staff who might not be on that much more than non playing staff at Prem clubs.

ex_user1234

Resigned
At least this is a cogent argument. I don't agree, but it is a valid argument. Where you say "assets", I would expand that to become "assets/costs". Staff in any business are an asset and they are also a cost. That's why you see companies right now cutting staff left, right and centre in order to control their costs. No one is saying those members of staff aren't valuable and worthy - it's just the business can't afford them or it'll go bust and then no one will have a job. The same applies to City. We were a loss-making business before this crisis hit. We now have no income for the foreseeable future. That is not sustainable and if measures are not taken we will go bust. Furloughing the players is a humane way to allow them to keep most of their salary and prevent the club from getting into severe financial difficulties. Every lower league club should be doing it.

Legohead

Banned
At least this is a cogent argument. I don't agree, but it is a valid argument. Where you say "assets", I would expand that to become "assets/costs". Staff in any business are an asset and they are also a cost. That's why you see companies right now cutting staff left, right and centre in order to control their costs. No one is saying those members of staff aren't valuable and worthy - it's just the business can't afford them or it'll go bust and then no one will have a job. The same applies to City. We were a loss-making business before this crisis hit. We now have no income for the foreseeable future. That is not sustainable and if measures are not taken we will go bust. Furloughing the players is a humane way to allow them to keep most of their salary and prevent the club from getting into severe financial difficulties. Every lower league club should be doing it.
Common sense and 100% accurate IMO.

Grecian Max

Ok, I'll be more specific. You're afraid of change as you think it may one day affect your volunteering work at the club. So, basically, a completely self-interested but understandable position. I also suspect you are more concerned with how the primroses will turn out this Spring than the financial viability of the club. Which is fine, Andy.
Ouch, this just got lively:ROFLMAO:

geoffwp

Ouch, this just got lively:ROFLMAO:
Yeh, it's got a bit spikey hasn't it. Fun though.😊

ex_user1234

Resigned
I say furlough all staff and the players that want to leave and who have not understood and appreciated why furloughing was done at a fan owned bottom tier football club with zero income for months then let them leave for free and good riddance. They aren't the only ones up sh*t creek without a paddle.
Exactly. If the players choose not to be furloughed then that is their choice, but I don't see why we would then want them at the club. Are we all in this together or not? Players saying they love Exeter City is easy when times are good. It's when things get tough and they have to make sacrifices that you see how much players really care about the club. Right now it doesn't look like very much. They're sat at home brushing up their Playstation FIFA skills on full wages, while the club sinks further into penury. It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad.