• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Furlough the players to avoid a cashflow crisis

ex_user1234

Resigned
I can assure you that gave better things to get off on than some posts on Exeweb.
I think our difference lies in this : you think our club is in danger and making assumptions that the club/TB are doing an ostrich and hoping the problem will solve itself; I trust the club/TB to do within their power the right thing morally and practically. There are many unknowns we have to try to take into account regarding the financial aspect.
Will the season be completed?
Will there be playoffs?
Will we get promoted?
Will the season be cancelled?
If cancelled, will it restart, and when?
Will we get our share of the TV monies next season of will the PL clubs owe too much money to the TV companies?
What about players' contracts?

My point is that we need to give the club time to sort this out, Ed, even if it's possible to sort it out
And regarding furloughs, can we furlough our players, or do we have too much money in the bank to do that? And are there other rules which complicate matters?
Every club is facing these difficulties. And the pressure on the CS to provide answers and administer the current situation is huge
For every financial claim there are millions of enquiries
We all have to be patient. Ed Gallois can't expect instant answer from the club on every issue that is now being considered .
And as I said, if the club has any important info it should be issued publicly to everyone, not whispered to Ed in a dark alley
This is where we respectfully disagree. I don't believe the club has time to sit around and discuss matters endlessly. We should have furloughed the players in March as we are burning a huge amount of cash for nothing in return. But no-one at the club wants to take on the PFA. Personally, I care more about Exeter City Football Club than any of our players or the union that represents them. Push comes to shove, players are replaceable. The club is not. Every day we dither and delay, the chances of City making it through this unprecedented crisis get smaller and smaller. I am an upbeat, positive person by nature but look around you - these are not normal circumstances. Perhaps for those of us running companies it is more evident. All business plans went out of the window with the lockdown. For many, many people in this country it will be about survival over the next 12 months. And that includes City.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
They haven't furloughed the players. I don't know why. Contrary to some posts on here, I am not asking for myself. I am asking as a fan because other fans also want to know.
Yes. My questions were a bit daft. You've already said you don't know.

IndoMike

This is where we respectfully disagree. I don't believe the club has time to sit around and discuss matters endlessly. We should have furloughed the players in March as we are burning a huge amount of cash for nothing in return. But no-one at the club wants to take on the PFA. Personally, I care more about Exeter City Football Club than any of our players or the union that represents them. Push comes to shove, players are replaceable. The club is not. Every day we dither and delay, the chances of City making it through this unprecedented crisis get smaller and smaller. I am an upbeat, positive person by nature but look around you - these are not normal circumstances. Perhaps for those of us running companies it is more evident. All business plans went out of the window with the lockdown. For many, many people in this country it will be about survival over the next 12 months. And that includes City.
I agree with your last couple of sentences.
It will about survival for hundreds of millions of people.
It puts football into perspective.
As I see it, these are the possibilities
1. The club has not furloughed the players yet, but will do.
2. The club is considering furloughing the players but is not sure if to do it (for various reasons)
3. The club cannot furlough the players (for some technical reason)
4. The club is in the process of furloughing the players.
5. The club does not want to furlough the players because they think it's not fair to the country or to the players
6. The club has already furloughed the players.

Does that make sense?

Andy Holloway

I completely agree that everyone is entitled to an opinion. As you say, that's kind of the point of a forum. I still cannot see why probing questions during a time of crisis is interpreted as negativity. I wish more people would ask questions given we are a fan-owned club. Sadly, many people get put off because you eventually get hammered by folk such as Andy H who are afraid of change, even if it's positive and to the benefit of others.
Who said i was afraid of change, i just think we should still retain the old heavy, leather ball, wear ridiculously long shorts, and should never have demolished the OG that's all!!

Assumptions without any evidence yet again, get back in YOUR box.

PeteUSA

Who said i was afraid of change, i just think we should still retain the old heavy, leather ball, wear ridiculously long shorts, and should never have demolished the OG that's all!!

Andy, you're being a blatent irritant in this discussion, with no point of view to offer. Isnt there maybe something you can find to powerwash, or paint?

ex_user1234

Resigned

Ok, I'll be more specific. You're afraid of change as you think it may one day affect your volunteering work at the club. So, basically, a completely self-interested but understandable position. I also suspect you are more concerned with how the primroses will turn out this Spring than the financial viability of the club. Which is fine, Andy.

i8cornwall

I agree with your last couple of sentences.
It will about survival for hundreds of millions of people.
It puts football into perspective.
As I see it, these are the possibilities
1. The club has not furloughed the players yet, but will do.
2. The club is considering furloughing the players but is not sure if to do it (for various reasons)
3. The club cannot furlough the players (for some technical reason)
4. The club is in the process of furloughing the players.
5. The club does not want to furlough the players because they think it's not fair to the country or to the players
6. The club has already furloughed the players.

Does that make sense?
If it’s 4,5 or 6 of your bullet points then it still begs the question why the club haven’t informed the Owners of the club, the members of the trust.

From reading this thread you can tell which people have had dealings with the club and trust and those who haven’t.

I’d imagine from your happy go lucky/often blinded posts you have not.

Andy_H

Andy, you're being a blatent irritant in this discussion, with no point of view to offer. Isnt there maybe something you can find to powerwash, or paint?
Always pleased to help Pete, by the way In case you missed the Trust Email, SJP is closed to ALL, but The Gap is still open though!

Andy_H

Ok, I'll be more specific. You're afraid of change as you think it may one day affect your volunteering work at the club. So, basically, a completely self-interested but understandable position. I also suspect you are more concerned with how the primroses will turn out this Spring than the financial viability of the club. Which is fine, Andy.
I'm sure you must be two people Ed, as no one person could be so conceited!

IndoMike

If it’s 4,5 or 6 of your bullet points then it still begs the question why the club haven’t informed the Owners of the club, the members of the trust.

From reading this thread you can tell which people have had dealings with the club and trust and those who haven’t.

I’d imagine from your happy go lucky/often blinded posts you have not.
Blinded by what?
All I've said is that I assume the club/TB is handling the situation and I have no reason to believe they aren"t.