• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Former Players

budegrecian

We built a system to suit Aaron, cover up his weaknesses and to an extent it worked out and he could show his strengths. Off the back of that he had a good season. If we want to play with a flat back four though, he lost his place to a kid on loan that no one rated too much at league level before he got his place with us. What we should actually be looking for is the next Dara O'Shea.
Agree with this. Although at least 1 if not 2 seasons away, I'm hoping that Cheick Diabete will be the new Dara O'Shea

Ash

We built a system to suit Aaron, cover up his weaknesses and to an extent it worked out and he could show his strengths. Off the back of that he had a good season. If we want to play with a flat back four though, he lost his place to a kid on loan that no one rated too much at league level before he got his place with us. What we should actually be looking for is the next Dara O'Shea.
Hey if we can get another Dara O'Shea, I'm all for it. And although 3 at the back may have suited Aaron, it arguably suited Deano and Sweenz more, both of whom looked far better in a 3, rather than one of 2 centre backs or as full backs. So I hardly think we built a system to suit Aaron, rather we used the players we had available in the system that most suited all of them.
I'm sure there are other Dara's out there, but finding them is obviously hard or else everyone would do it. Bear in mind that not many kids that we might actually be able to sign would walk into a league two side and look immediately comfortable like Dara did.
If we can get someone better, wonderful. But are you really telling me resigning Martin wouldn't improve our defensive options as they are now?
Bottom line is we need someone in who is better than what we've got now!

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hey if we can get another Dara O'Shea, I'm all for it. And although 3 at the back may have suited Aaron, it arguably suited Deano and Sweenz more, both of whom looked far better in a 3, rather than one of 2 centre backs or as full backs. So I hardly think we built a system to suit Aaron, rather we used the players we had available in the system that most suited all of them.
I'm sure there are other Dara's out there, but finding them is obviously hard or else everyone would do it. Bear in mind that not many kids that we might actually be able to sign would walk into a league two side and look immediately comfortable like Dara did.
If we can get someone better, wonderful. But are you really telling me resigning Martin wouldn't improve our defensive options as they are now?
Bottom line is we need someone in who is better than what we've got now!
Deano is no longer with us and Sweeney looks like he isn't going to be long term. If Matt wants to play a back four, which it looks like he does, then Aaron wouldn't improve the defence in a position where winning first contacts are so important. And playing that back three arguably didn't suit Parkes and compromised the rest of the team further up the pitch where Williams was crowbarred into a right wingback (kind of) role where we ended up lop sided, with Sparkes playing deeper, unable to get Law and MJ reasonably into the same side and our attacks becoming predictable through Williams and rarely down the left.

With only two senior centre backs and with a lot who seem to have already written McArdle off before the season has started, I can understand why another centre back would make people easier. And everyone will always want a better player than we have already. But someone who suits the system Matt wants to play will be better than someone who doesn't.

PS. Yes Matt signed him and hopefully has learnt that lesson although all managers do this from time to time.

Ash

Deano is no longer with us and Sweeney looks like he isn't going to be long term. If Matt wants to play a back four, which it looks like he does, then Aaron wouldn't improve the defence in a position where winning first contacts are so important. And playing that back three arguably didn't suit Parkes and compromised the rest of the team further up the pitch where Williams was crowbarred into a right wingback (kind of) role where we ended up lop sided, with Sparkes playing deeper, unable to get Law and MJ reasonably into the same side and our attacks becoming predictable through Williams and rarely down the left.

With only two senior centre backs and with a lot who seem to have already written McArdle off before the season has started, I can understand why another centre back would make people easier. And everyone will always want a better player than we have already. But someone who suits the system Matt wants to play will be better than someone who doesn't.

PS. Yes Matt signed him and hopefully has learnt that lesson although all managers do this from time to time.
I'd still Martin over Parkes in any formation. And over McArdle so far, although that is admittedly on very little evidence.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Interview with Ryan Harley in the Non League Paper.

otterton reds

Interview with Ryan Harley in the Non League Paper.

On his day a pleasure to watch

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
On his day a pleasure to watch
So many memories, double at Argyle, Huddersfield at home, double against Leeds, first winner back in the league at Bournemouth...

otterton reds

So many memories, double at Argyle, Huddersfield at home, double against Leeds, first winner back in the league at Bournemouth...
The goal against
the goal at home to Lincoln in the play off

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm gonna read it another time.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
George starts with a win in debut game for Birmingham.