• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Former Players

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Brighton rumoured to be interested in Matt Grimes.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Noah is effectively entering his second year as a pro. We had quite a few second year pros out on loan last season, Hartridge, Key, Kite and Randall so it is hardly out of reason. He is effectively the same age group as Sparkes, Dyer and Dean. Sparkes has always been a bit ahead of his age group hence his first team regular role last season before his injury in Smerdon's position. Matt has said Dean and Dyer have a chance to push for a first team squad place at the start of this season but still could be sent out on loan again if they are considered to be not ready.

Smerdon, I believe was very much cutting it for Gloucester in the NLS before his move. City have for a while been patient with players coming through recognising that not everyone develops at the same rate. Obviously although Matt doesn't think he is ready yet, he does think he has a chance of making it, otherwise he would be released.

I've never been into the "if you're not in the first team squad by 19/20, you'll never be good enough" camp.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Would not be surprised Potter certainly believed in Matt giving him the captain’s arm band when he was manager at Swansea.

Banksy

Cue the perennial discussion on whether there is a sell on.😀

manc grecian

Cue the perennial discussion on whether there is a sell on.😀
Fingers crossed for a release clause as well. Amazing scenes as people try to understand how they work.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
MT has specifically said in interview that Smerdon is not ready for the first team and will go out on loan again this season. A surprising ( to me) number of our loanees have ended up at Tivvy’s level. Like you I would hope / expect Smerdon could cut it at National League South level.
I thought it was as much about the fact there were a number of players ahead of him in the pecking order to play on the left.

Spoonz Red E

I thought it was as much about the fact there were a number of players ahead of him in the pecking order to play on the left.
He could play Noah 2 by 2.

IndoMike

He could play Noah 2 by 2.
'Ark at you ..!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
'Ark at you ..!
I hope that doesn't mean there will now be a flood of dodgy puns on this thread.

Banksy

Someone’s bound to Ham it up.