• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Flybe in trouble?

hatch4england

In the last month I have flown with Flybe (to Nice) and Easyjet (Portugal and bank).

Flybe's load factors were about 50%, Easyjet's about 85-90%. Not good.

older-codger

In the last month I have flown with Flybe (to Nice) and Easyjet (Portugal and bank).

Flybe's load factors were about 50%, Easyjet's about 85-90%. Not good.
That would depend on what load factor the fares are based on. Flybe fares are more expensive than Easyjet generally. I regularly fly Flybe to Belfast with far higher load factor than 50% and flew with Easyjet last weekend to Geneva with similar loading to my last Belfast trip

EGTE

Older-codger is right. Load factor on a flight is not overly relevant. The "Yield" i.e how much money an airline has taken in fares for a particular flight is more important. I understand that break-even on a 78-seat Bombardier Dash-8Q-400 as flown by Flybe is approx 30 passengers - depending on the fares paid. See the manufacturers bumpf here http://www2.bombardier.com/en/3_0/3_8/BCAU/pdf/RU_Jun03_2.pdf
Flybe are currently restructuring in order to return to profitability so expect them to be around for a long time yet.

Last edited:

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Posted a loss of £40.6m. According to the FT, a seven fold increase.

ECFC Music

Does anybody know what the Flybe sponsorship means in value terms to City ? One other point is the excessive passenger tax which seems to affect Flybe more than other budget airlines due to it's greater reliance on UK internal flights.

hatch4england

More worrying for ECFC is that their strategy now involves focussing on core cities - none of which is Exeter...

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whats a core city?

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whats a core city?
'The Big Apple'?

FAN-TATIC

More worrying for ECFC is that their strategy now involves focussing on core cities - none of which is Exeter...
But, their maintenance centre and pilot training centre (for all pilots not just Flybe's) are based in Exeter........

hatch4england

Yes, but I want them to continue flying to Nice. They have already axed Leeds.
BTW had the longest wait for security in my life last time I flew out of Exeter (more than an hour), then a lovely chat with the most officious policeman at the police desk ever... I do fly quite a lot, and it has really put me off Exeter airport, much as I like FlyBe.