• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Favorite Radio Devon Commentators

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
To be honest I am more concerned with the standard of the refs than the commentators

dontpassback

I always like giler,although there was fruity language on the odd occasion,which is perhaps why he doesn’t do it anymore :D

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't think the expats realise how much that pees people off in this country.
Stop saying "guy", "assist", and "gotten" then.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Was that to me or the nation in general ?

Andy Holloway

I didn't have any real issues with Saturday's commentary, and I happen to think we (and other clubs) are very lucky at our level and below to have any commentary at all.

Dave Saunders was my favourite, shame he moved to the US. I also like our roster of usual pundits - Andrew Barge, Kirky and Pat Baldwin. Ryan Brunt was good too last season. I can't think of any I've disliked - the only time I've really hated a commentator/pundit was when we played the GAWS in a JPT (or whatever) match a few seasons back and the greens supplied some idiot who was still enjoying his 15 minutes from being on Big Brother. I believe the BBC even received complaints from their fans.
Dave Saunders was my daughter's Maths teacher at Cullompton Comp. on Monday mornings, after a game, the conversation always got around to football and he would use the lessons to work out statistics, in fact anything, etc relating to football. It's surprising how many non football children converted to football at CC thanks to Dave Saunders maths lessons!

Last edited:

Stelios

I didn't have any real issues with Saturday's commentary, and I happen to think we (and other clubs) are very lucky at our level and below to have any commentary at all.
Spot on. As mentioned in the MDT, I actually quite enjoyed the ramble chats at Yeovil but they literally missed ALL the build up to City's 2nd! You could hear a cheer in the background and this was followed up by "Oh. It's a goal" (or something similar)

I always thought John Ayres was fantastic. Just love his voice and enthusiasm. I loved listening to Jimmy Giles too. Found Brunt a little dull (sorry).

ExeterCityLad

'Guy', 'Assist' & 'Gotten' are all in the English Oxford Dictionary.

I can't find 'Favorite' though?

PeteUSA

'Guy', 'Assist' & 'Gotten' are all in the English Oxford Dictionary.

I can't find 'Favorite' though?
You should be looking in Websters, old bean. The Donald will be issuing copies world-wide fairly soon. He's a colorful character, I'm sure you'll agree?...

scottus86

I don't care who does it as long as they are commentating on the game. For those at home who cannot see what is going on, they are relying on a timely and accurate description of the match. The commentators need to be quick thinking and be able to keep up with play, know who is who for both teams and have some relevant and interesting facts when there is a break in play.

Anything else is a waste of time.
Our commentators regularly confuse our own players. Especially Boateng and Forte

PeteUSA

Well, for what its worth, my favorite home pair would be John Ayres at home supported by Andrew Barge. Andrew had a slow start but he's grown on me, largely because he sticks to the match and doesn't get caught up with issues that are nothing to do with football!

Away is not so easy, but co-commentator would be Graham Kirk for me - all day long. I'd like him as a main commentator but I cant see that happening. Away commentator is difficult cos' we're probably stuck for choices. Sohail Sahi has come a long way over the years, and given those available would probably be best shout. I doubt if Radio Devon would allow one of their own to travel away regularly from Exeter.