• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeweb Upgrades :- New Server, New Software, New Look

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nowhere :).
Now that is very disappointing. I was hoping for a more enlightened perspective from the new team. Any particular reason why not?

lmartin

Administrator
The main reason why not is because we're planning to keep things 'as they are' for now. Social Groups were disabled some time ago. We may reintroduce them in the future, we may not - that decision will be made by the mods primarily and we'll support them in that. For now we're focussing on the upgrade and just resuming normal service. Any other changes can come later.

I can't really comment on social groups as they were before my time but there were obviously why reasons why Steve felt they should be disabled that I'm not fully versed with.

MickStagraget

I can't really comment on social groups as they were before my time but there were obviously why reasons why Steve felt they should be disabled that I'm not fully versed with.
Bondy acted like an arse and started a thread moaning about them, even though he'd completely got hold of the wrong end of the stick...that and the avatars competition, but that's another story ;)

Like the new look, in other forums I go on a number of people threw their toys out the pram when the vB4 update came in and the look of the forums was changed, but you seem to have kept it pretty faithful to the format that works already and that should ease the pain for some of those that are more set in their ways [y]

angelic upstart

Would it be possible for someone to keep the archives of the social groups? I always enjoyed reading through them, and like the did you know thread, an occasional peruse through is guaranteed to put a grin on my moronic fat face.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Please please please don't make the mobile version the default if viewing on a Phone.

I hate reading forums in 'mobile' mode and would much rather get all the same functionality as I currently get when viewing on a PC.

Swanaldo

Would it be possible for someone to keep the archives of the social groups? I always enjoyed reading through them, and like the did you know thread, an occasional peruse through is guaranteed to put a grin on my moronic fat face.
I have a word document into which I have painstakingly copy-and-pasted the very cream of Did You Know. Should Exeweb ever cease to be, you can rest assured that your continued grinnage will be assured.

Also, I believe that the film version is on general release.

Jordann

Please please please don't make the mobile version the default if viewing on a Phone.

I hate reading forums in 'mobile' mode and would much rather get all the same functionality as I currently get when viewing on a PC.
All you have to go is go into the settings and change the skin from "mobile" to "default" and it stays that way on your phone.

lmartin

Administrator
Also, at the bottom of every page on the mobile theme is the option to switch to the "Full Site" skin. The mobile theme is very handy if you don't have much signal or don't have 3G... quite common round these parts in the back end of rural Devon.

Last edited:

Grecian2K

Quality work Liam [y].

In striking the always tricky balance between the old and the new I suggest you've hit bullseye here.

Just two questions.
One would assume that there will be at least some inevitable downtime during the transition
1) Any idea how long for - and can we be assured that it will not overlap any matchdays? ;)

2) I recall that, after the last MAJOR ew switch (circa 2003-4? ), all prior posts were consigned to the virtual crematorium (bar some that were fragmentally preserved in an archive somewhere)
Will this be the case on this occasion too?

oh, and 3) Will the change mean that all of our hard earnt post-counts be AGAIN reset to zero? :( ;)

Last edited:

lmartin

Administrator
Thanks G2K. Here's to hoping this fixes 'your' infamous bug!

1) I will do my best to keep downtime to a minimum. I suspect I will start around 10pm one evening next week (weeknight) and carry on until I'm done... all going well it should then be back up by first thing in the morning for most people. There may then be the odd niggle I need to iron out that will only show up with 'real life' load.

2) All existing posts / content / avatars / images / profile pics etc.. etc.. should be moved across as is. From a data point of view it's a simple upgrade and switch :). Once we're over we'll be able to carry on exactly where we left off.

3) Nope, covered by 2 above. All user profile info including post count / setting etc... will be migrated over.