• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter or Plymouth??

Chalicefc3

Come play with us Danny, forever and ever and ever
Out of curiousity - does the fact that our promotional/maintenance success of recent years mean that we are in fact better than Plymouth Argyle.
With their relegation and recent financial issues, presumably the fact that we also own our football club means that we have more money at our disposal.

Your thoughts please.........

We have a motorway, an OK sized airport, a more renowned railway station and Paul Tisdale. What does Plymouth have to offer? (please don't say Drakes Circus)

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cant believe you have forgotten the most important difference between the 2....

......we have a Cathedral! ;) :D

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Out of curiousity - does the fact that our promotional/maintenance success of recent years mean that we are in fact better than Plymouth Argyle.
With their relegation and recent financial issues, presumably the fact that we also own our football club means that we have more money at our disposal.

Your thoughts please.........

We have a motorway, an OK sized airport, a more renowned railway station and Paul Tisdale. What does Plymouth have to offer? (please don't say Drakes Circus)
Time will tell next season if we're better than them, At the end of 46 games the table wont lie. As for us having more money than them, No, We don't have any money at our "Disposal" We have to generate money through Trust subs, Commercial stuff, Sponsors and various appeals. What we don't have is a god awful Deficit like theirs and their Board confirming that there will be a shortfall of up to £3m, So next season for them will be a real purse tightening exercise. As for the rest, Exeter as a City is a far better place than Plymouth but that is only my opinion

Last edited:

LOG

(please don't say Drakes Circus)
:-O But Primark is the flagship store?!

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
They've got quite a lot of concrete.

Chalicefc3

Forgotten pleasures indeed. It's one of those places that I just won't ever visit until TSW/Carlton/Westcountry TV/HTV West decides to report that it will be closing down. Surely the Cathedral must be due a refit, it's been around a bit longer than the OG!

Do you reckon that now that we're stuffed with a Tory GVT, we can claim funding to redevelop the ground seeing as we're all about to get wallet-fisted royally?

greenawayr

I live in Saltash and can smell Plymouth from where I live.

Exeter wins hands down.

As for football clubs, I'd take our position over theirs anyday.

Grecian_Jay

What about if you're a player and have been offered a deal at both. I'm guessing Plymouth will still offer bigger wages than us and potential players would probably see them as more likely to push for promotion, so who would pose the attractive proposition, them or us?

Chalicefc3

What about if you're a player and have been offered a deal at both. I'm guessing Plymouth will still offer bigger wages than us and potential players would probably see them as more likely to push for promotion, so who would pose the attractive proposition, them or us?
I guess that as a player you'd want to live in Exeter, rather than smellyville. So any increase in salary offered at PAFC in theory be offset by travel costs. Exeter is much better situated than Plymouth, pretty much 30 mins closer to any major city (Truro doesn't count as a real city!).
Generally speaking, we have much more going for us than Plymouth in my opinion. Is there any correlation between port towns and their football clubs?

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
Is there any correlation between port towns and their football clubs?
Inbreeding?