• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Women 2023/24

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Will they? Won't they?

Play the last match at SJP - when would they need to announce it. Could break all crowd records for the division! Comparable to some of the crowds in the WSL
It will only be played at SJP if the title is already wrapped up.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Highly unlikely then. It'll probably go down to the last game.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Even with that scenario it would not happen. The pitch is available for hire that weekend for local teams before its stripped & reseeded.

Oldsmobile-88

Listening to the City ladies player who was the co-commentator on our match against Burton on the way home, she was asked this question. Would you like the Bournemouth match played at SJP. She replied that although that would be great, playing it at Exwick on the artificial surface would more than likely give us the best chance of winning. This was because Bournemouth play on grass at home and they wont be as used to playing on an artificial surface as our girls. It sounded like this has already been discussed but nothing had been decided.
This..

Leads

I would say that it's potentially pretty bad PR for the club if what would potentially (definitely?) be the biggest game in the team's history is not able to be played at SJP...

If the women would prefer to play it at Exwick to gain some kind of advantage that's up to them, but it would be a shame to limit the crowd to a couple of hundred :unsure:.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would say that it's potentially pretty bad PR for the club if what would potentially (definitely?) be the biggest game in the team's history is not able to be played at SJP...

If the women would prefer to play it at Exwick to gain some kind of advantage that's up to them, but it would be a shame to limit the crowd to a couple of hundred :unsure:.
We have to honour and respect the wishes of the team.

Oldsmobile-88

I believe the team were asked about the fixture being played at SJP before any other plans for the pitch were put in place. Their home ground is the Exwick Hub, the consensus was that if promotion were to be achieved it would be fitting that it was there.

Leads

I believe the team were asked about the fixture being played at SJP before any other plans for the pitch were put in place. Their home ground is the Exwick Hub, the consensus was that if promotion were to be achieved it would be fitting that it was there.
Yeh, that's fair enough. As long as they were consulted! What you wouldn't want is a situation where they wanted to play at SJP but they weren't able to because the pitch had already been hired out for some corporate 11 a side amateur stuff. I'm not trying to look for a problem where there isn't one, it's just I'm very conscious in how big the growth has been in the women's game and it's only heading in one direction!

I really hope we can get promotion!

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
One former exewebber "Let's ask the women what they want" "We want the game played at exwick" "Oh".

Colesman Ballz

One former exewebber "Let's ask the women what they want" "We want the game played at exwick" "Oh".
I sort of get the reason that they might prefer to play at Exwick, but in the "Grand Scheme of Things" it does waste an opportunity to lift the profile and status of the team with a really well attended fixture at SJP.