• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Vs Rochdale Matchday Thread

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
What a comical report on the Rochdale site.
Loyal Reporters
<clap><clap> - <clap><clap><clap>
Loyal Reporters
<clap><clap> - <clap><clap><clap>

hillview red

Egg - I can understand the idea of 'A' grade players... But can that grade never change? Does it only change at the end of a season or a contract? I completely trust Tis' but you set a very very dangerous precedent when you have 'undropable' players.

Last edited:

information_ministry

Well-known Exeweb poster
We will not be able to afford passengers for the rest of the campaign so unless Harley bucks up his ideas and effort he should not be a first choice player.

Tully will need greater cover in front of him and someone to shout at him to get into the right position more often.

Edwards has become too slow, especially if he gets turned so he probably will become a fringe player soon.

Looks like we won't see January signings from what Tis says in the Sunday Independent so we will need to encourage big Mac and Bash to score more goals like yesterday because its quite clear that Stans can't be relied on to score.

We should be delighted so far with our league position and if we make the play offs it will be a great achievement

i_m

hillview red

Sorry in my post above I addressed Egg... I meant Lister! Humble apologies.

Lister

Sorry in my post above I addressed Egg... I meant Lister! Humble apologies.
I am deeply deeply offended!!! ;)

Last edited:

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
It is that very simple Jenks.edwards dropped to the bench. Taylor and Scrat are the mainstays of our defence. Moxey doesn't and shouldn't need to be moved to accomodate Edwards. Gilly has been solid if not spectacular and warrants his place. Manny is getting better and better as every game goes on and for all Harley is about as frustrating as hell he can pull the rabbit out of the hat to win a game. Ally that with the fact that Edwards isn't play all that well anyway and the answer really is that simple.
That would be my decision too, based on form, but will Tis drop Edwards? This is the man who went what 50 odd games in a row. I think Edwards experience is the perfect buffer for Gill and Panther (two yellow cards waiting to happen!) and two young centre backs, I think Tis would agree. However, Edwards should be used sparingly if we are going to get the best of him and he could be coaching more actively while he isnt in the starting eleven. He'd be the perfect sub to come on at the back or middle for us, but I repeat - will Tis drop him?

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
What a report from Rochdale, poor heroic Dale fought valiantly against a team of thuggish Devon brutes who had one shot all game and scored four, and a referee whose first words as a baby were 'I f*cking hate Rochdale and if I ever referee a game of theirs I'm going to screw them'.

Here is what happened for me. Neither were penalties, Harley was barely touched. Theirs was simply a consolation token gesture, would never have been given if they werent 4-0 down, a Christmas present to Rochdale if you like. Re: the offsides, well I dont know, but they come and go. Stans had more than enough excrutiatingly close offside calls where some were right and some were wrong. The best team won and while 4-1 maybe flattered us a bit, we were two goals better than them for definite. Re: the red card, I suppose he was the last man but Harley was running away from goal I think and the keeper was close by, so the red was quite harsh too. But if this reporter guy thinks he was watching 'Inter Rochdale' who were robbed by a team of lucky gits and a cheating ref then he is mistaken, we were excellent and deserved the win. About all he needed to say really

andrew p long

What a comical report on the Rochdale site. Reckon if I were him I'd have perhaps waited to see the highlights before writing up my report. Tully didn't look in the slightest bit offside, nor did any of their defence appeal to that effect. Similarly they weren't appealing when Harley went through and Wiseman only "nipped round him and toe-poked the ball away" after hauling him back with a handful of shirt as can clearly been seen on the highlights. Some would say a sending off is harsh but the referee would have been criticised by us and his assessors had he not followed the stipulated guidelines.

I'd definitely feel hard done by if I were a Dale fan, but on the basis that they had good chances in the first half that they didn't capitalise on. The same has happened to us in other games this season (Luton and Shrewsbury particularly spring to mind) and we have paid the price.
Spot on.I was going to come on here to say what a good side Rochdale were,it was never a 4-1 game,could have been 3-1 to the away side when the pen was awarded,the pen and sending off were technically correct but more often than not don't get given.

And also to say that if Dale play like that every game (and put away their chances) then they will get promoted and neutrals ought to queue up for tickets to their games.

However, their report is disastrously inaccurate.The real cause of their demise was the failure to put away a number of clear cut chances.And the bloke writing the report gives the game away when complaining extensively about refereeing inconsistency because Moxey wasn't sent off for a foul committed by Seaborne! Priceless.

Whereas all my goodwill toward them has now evaporated.

Last edited:

Phil Sayers

Thoroughly entertaining match.

First off all credit to Rochdale who were outplaying us for much of the first half. It normally suits us when sides come and play a passing game because we are better at it than them. Not so Rochdale who looked an excellent team playing the same style as we do - it's no use people moaning 'get stuck in' when our players can't get anywhere near the ball. It must be equally frustrating for the teams we play against. They really should have been winning when we took the lead and that they weren't is down to a couple of excellent saves and some woeful finishing. Best team I have seen us play.

That said when we scored it became an even contest between two extremely good sides and the penalty / sending off would have ruined a finely poised match for a neutral - not for me though :). I can't offer a view on the decision except to say I didn't see the foul from my long distance viewpoint on the Bank but in our defence I think Harley would have buried it to send us 2-0 in any case.

What I really want to talk about is the second half though where I thought we were outstanding. Of course with the caveat that it was against 10 men in a match we had already effectively won but nevertheless some of the football was stunningly good. As good as the start of the season but creating (and twice finishing) chance after chance. I thought all the players played at least fairly well but to single out some names:

Panther - agreed with the sponsors. A fine performance full of driving runs and box to box energy. He really is a fantastic athlete and if he had better touch / vision would be playing at a much, much higher level. It's hard to teach touch but I'm sure Tisdale will improve his decision making.

Saunders - another very encouraging display. Sublime ball to Tully to set up the opener and demonstrating an all round excellent range of passing.

Harley - I have seen some critcism of him earlier in this thread but for me he was back to almost his best and came a whisker away from scoring the goal of the season.

McAllister - what can I say. I must admit to being puzzled by his signing but if he keeps this up then he is the best striker we have on the book. A Flackie whose headers go in the right places but with a better touch and a surprising turn of pace for his size. Great run for our third goal. Not as though Bash was poor either mind....

To sum up it's safe to say I enjoyed my trip to SJP yesterday and am looking forward to Boxing Day. Tough, tough game but we must be full of confidence and I just have a funny feeling.....[party]

grecIAN Harris

PS Edwards ............... But there will come a time when old age catches up....
It's already arrived I think.