• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Peterborough Utd. Match day thread.

dontpassback

Another three points,against a a good side,but who cares !

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well hell of a journey home, atrocious conditions made more bearable by the thought of 3 more points against a team that not many of our rivals will get points against.
Couldn't envisage us winning the game at half time, after 15 mins thought we always were going to concede 6!
Zac Jules was the only player holding that defence together, great player, how did we ever get him?
Can't work out if our game changed when their player was sent off or when we changed the right side of our attack. The Aimson, Niskanen combo is a poor one.
But it doesn't always follow that a team of 11 beats a team of 10. We stuck to it and battled out two goals!
Superb deliveries from Cole for both goals, virtually indefencible. He's like a young Ward Prowes!😄

lamrobhero

Harper was on my side of the pitch 2nd half, thought he was great. His play when facing 3 Peterborough attackers on his own was top drawer.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster

Rosencrantz

If anything Peterborough will kick themselves for not putting us away in the first half. With the wind at their backs and us struggling to play out, apart from the penalty they barely had any attempts on goal. In particular they looked dangerous down their left where Joel kept drifting out to join Mason-Clarke and their left back overloading us. They actually created more in the second half when the game became more spread but a good save by Vil and two crucial tackles by the excellent Jules and Harper kept them out.

The sending off did turn things our way and is simply down to Vinni having too much pace and their lad being extremely naive. The two yellows were almost identical in that Vinni got the wrong side from him and he fouled him. Regulation yellow cards really. Vinni then continued to cause problems and with Dion coming on down the right we managed to create better pressure. Surely Vinni is going to net a screamer soon, great save by their keeper to tip it on to the post.

Although the goals have gone down as own goals, and you could say we were due a bit of luck, they actually came from two bits of quality from Reece. Along with Zak and Vinni, he was also a stand out player for us tonight. The second was a wicked ball into the corridor of uncertainty (Boycott®) and the defender had to go for it at full stretch with Cheick lurking with intent.

We saw it out quite comfortably from there really and probably should have ended playing against nine men with that cynical lunge from behind on Dion. Maybe we needed a women ref for that one?

All in all it ended up a bit of a blustery, boisterous night under the lights.

david61

Always good when we win, 14th now, albeit a bit ahead with games.

STURTZ

The own goals were lucky? Are you sure those indefensible free kicks were lucky?
Proper goals to me.

Well hell of a journey home, atrocious conditions made more bearable by the thought of 3 more points against a team that not many of our rivals will get points against.
Couldn't envisage us winning the game at half time, after 15 mins thought we always were going to concede 6!
Zac Jules was the only player holding that defence together, great player, how did we ever get him?
Can't work out if our game changed when their player was sent off or when we changed the right side of our attack. The Aimson, Niskanen combo is a poor one.
But it doesn't always follow that a team of 11 beats a team of 10. We stuck to it and battled out two goals!
Superb deliveries from Cole for both goals, virtually indefencible. He's like a young Ward Prowes!😄
Zac Jules? Because he’s technically Scottish. He got relegated with MK Dons last season and he was probably hoping for a L1 club funny old thing GC had managed him at his former club Chesterfield. That’s how we got him!
However he has been our player of the season so far IMO. I’m delighted how good he is.

Exehausted

We got the luck we needed tonight. I wasn't surprised Gary made changes, with 5 games in 15 days he had too. Given what he said afterwards about it being a difficult atmosphere for Will to play in at the moment and the pressure he is under, then why bring him in? Why not play him in the away games. I don't think he has been bad in central defence but he is no full back. It seemed that we played four at the back most of the time and he was definitely playing as a right back and their left winger had him on toast in the first half. As for the penalty I couldn't tell from where I was sat but the players reactions and even the BB seemed to say it was correct. Also Reece Cole saying to stick with them when we play it out from the back because it's risky and it's the way they've been told to play. They pressed us very well and made us make mistakes, well play over the press then, you're the players out there, make you're own decisions. You wont get booed for doing that although you might get shouted at by Gary at half time! So chuffed we won, and Mo Eisa looked a nuisance when he came on and will hopefully play a big part when he settles in. Finally, two great one on one saves by Vils tonight kept us in it, he really is a great keeper and it'll be sad to see him go in the summer.

Avening Posse

What a result !. I thought Peterborough were hot and I can see why they are near the top. Our goalie was fantastic at times and some of the individual performances were brilliant, Harper and Cole for example. I still get very nervous when Diabate and the keeper dick about when they are under pressure, I think its only a matter of time before we caught out. I'd personally give Niskanen a rest, I think he's out of form, and I don't personally think he's better for the team than Rankine. Peterborough had their chances but you've got to take them, and on another day their guy wouldn't have got a red card, but these things even themselves out over time. Not many of our relegation rivals will get any change from Peterborough, so that was a massive result UTC