• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Luton - EFL Cup - match day thread.

Memphis09

Just a youngster then!
I was older

Memphis09

Very good. Looks solid. While defensive unit looked strong tonight. Sweenz might struggle to get back in after that display.
Much prefer Sweeney to aimson on the right side of defence

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jack Fitzwater post match

Looks and sounds like an excellent addition to the squad. I'm looking forward to his testimonial

SimonBB

A great result! Keeping my head down here in Luton this evening and still debating which shirt to wear at the airport tomorrow morning.

Might be picking up some relatives from Gatwick at the end of October when the next round is scheduled. Are Crawley still in the cup? If so, we are likely to be drawn at home to them.
We’ve already been drawn at home to Crawley in the cup 😂

Mid Devon Grecian

Much prefer Sweeney to aimson on the right side of defence
I’m not so sure. Sinisalo did sell Aimson down the river first half with a dodgy pass and I think there was one mistake from Aimson second half when he was on the stretch, not sure if Sweenz was on at that point though.

Memphis09

To a man, City we fantastic tonight.

Caldwell tactical masterclass again - dropping to six at the back off the ball worked so well to soak up the pressure and then counter. I do believe he is a better manager than Edwards and that will play out over time.

We deserved that, we were the better team over the 90. Luton had a lot of their first teamers on by the end but couldn’t wear us down.

Bank was the best it’s been this season by some distance - watching the scenes with the goal and at the end has made me want to be in their for the 4th round if it’s at home.

Also funny watching Luton fans start the night thinking they’re billy big ******** now and their faces slowly dropping during the game as they realised the inevitable was going to happen.

Hard to pick a MOTM - Demi was superb, Carroll was excellent at pulling the strings and Aimson and Hartridge stood out for me. And Jules.

Also I thought Watts was great, I hope his injury isn’t too bad.

I am going to say it though - if we had a proper striker we’d have won by more. The balls we put into the box deserved to be attacked more than they are!
I agree with all you say with exception of Scott
He is no target man is not physical enough
GC was tearing into him during a break in the first half
He needs the ball to feet
I am not sure if and when if ever we have a fit team he would get anywhere near the first eleven
Still a brilliant night well done to all

Mid Devon Grecian

Looks and sounds like an excellent addition to the squad. I'm looking forward to his testimonial
I admire your optimism 😉

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
A win for organisation and determination tonight mixed in with a bit of quality going forward. We did soak up a lot of pressure early on by sitting deep, pretty much a back six to begin with. Then we grew into the game, Harper and Demi pushed more forward and we started to play out. This was actually when James Scott got into the match more as we were feeding the ball into his feet rather than hanging up a long ball for Andersen to dominate him.

We had to soak up a bit more when they made their subs and put more of their first team players on but the defence were outstanding to a man all night. They are much more confident with Vil behind them. It looked like our best chance had gone with Krul keeping out Demi and then Kyle putting the rebound wide. But Big Yan done really well to put the ball in and Demi finished well as their defender made a hash of it.

Then we had to see out the last 10 minutes or so (Inc time added) with 10 after the ref gave a poor second yellow to Demi. It was hardly a free kick, the player (Chio?) looked like he was falling into Demi before contact. We saw out the game reasonably well limiting Luton's chances as we had all night.

Demi probably rightly man of the match, run close by Der Kaiser, Franz Hartridge. First time I've seen City beat a top flight side. Lovely 🙂

Mid Devon Grecian

A win for organisation and determination tonight mixed in with a bit of quality going forward. We did soak up a lot of pressure early on by sitting deep, pretty much a back six to begin with. Then we grew into the game, Harper and Demi pushed more forward and we started to play out. This was actually when James Scott got into the match more as we were feeding the ball into his feet rather than hanging up a long ball for Andersen to dominate him.

We had to soak up a bit more when they made their subs and put more of their first team players on but the defence were outstanding to a man all night. They are much more confident with Vil behind them. It looked like our best chance had gone with Krul keeping out Demi and then Kyle putting the rebound wide. But Big Yan done really well to put the ball in and Demi finished well as their defender made a hash of it.

Then we had to see out the last 10 minutes or so (Inc time added) with 10 after the ref gave a poor second yellow to Demi. It was hardly a free kick, the player (Chio?) looked like he was falling into Demi before contact. We saw out the game reasonably well limiting Luton's chances as we had all night.

Demi probably rightly man of the match, run close by Der Kaiser, Franz Hartridge. First time I've seen City beat a top flight side. Lovely 🙂
I think Yan could be another Caldwell master stroke, although I rather think Fitzwater could be even more successful.

JW57++

We’ve already been drawn at home to Crawley in the cup 😂
My time machine must be malfunctioning.