• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Versus Sutton United League 2 Discussion and Prediction Thread

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Despite last night's 60 minutes I wouldn't expect to see Archie start probably taking a seat on the bench alongside Edwards (is his name hyphenated?) Lee and Daniel from last night. Team formation I would expect to see would be 3-4-3
Dawson
Sweeney Ray Hartridge
Key Dieng Kite Caprice
Brown Nombe Jay

Subs
Lee Collins Grounds Edwards Amond Daniel Atangana
Not too much to discuss with the first 11 - Harry Kite should have done enough to keep his place in the team so the only real debate is over who should play at left wing back. However, with Colin Daniel now fully fit and Archie getting close we are reaching the point where quite a number of perfectly good players are not even going to make the bench.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Definitely Coventry and it was 1989 (not the season after Coventry won the Cup, but the season after that). Woking turned over West Brom at The Hawthorns with a hattrick from Tim Buzaglo (I think).
Back in the 80's Sutton had a really good team but they regressed a bit after that and by the time we were in the Conference they were much less of a force. It's only really in the last 5 or so years that they've picked up again.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Their stats on Wednesday weren't too shabby with 19 shots against 4 and on Saturday 18 shots against 9, indicating that they are prepared to take a pop at goal should the opportunity present itself. After six matches they currently lie in 15th with 2 wins 2 draws and 2 defeats, 6 goals for and 6 goals against. Their top scorers currently are Richie Bennett and one Donovan Wilson both with two goals (two more than Wilson ever looked like scoring for us). Average home attendance to date is 2704 which is a marked improvement of where they were seven seasons ago when they plied their trade in the conference south.
One of the advantages that Sutton have over many of the recent new arrivals to the League is that they have a large potential catchment area. Yes, Wimbledon are to the north and Palace to the east but that still leaves tens of thousands of people for whom Sutton is now their nearest league club.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
One of the advantages that Sutton have over many of the recent new arrivals to the League is that they have a large potential catchment area. Yes, Wimbledon are to the north and Palace to the east but that still leaves tens of thousands of people for whom Sutton is now their nearest league club.
I dunno. It will take a long time to build up their support base, if ever. This is not a football area. Only 2,484 at their game on Tuesday - amazingly 251 of them from Hartlepool. Even fewer last Saturday: 2,427, including 297 from Stevenage.

Palace don't sell out most if their matches.

Wimbledon are seemingly not publishing their attendances.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I dunno. It will take a long time to build up their support base, if ever. This is not a football area. Only 2,484 at their game on Tuesday - amazingly 251 of them from Hartlepool. Even fewer last Saturday: 2,427, including 297 from Stevenage.

Those attendances compare favourably with the likes of Forest Green and Salford. I'm not saying the attendances will shoot up over night but just that they have more potential to than if they were based in a village of 5 000 people or less than 5 miles from two of the biggest clubs in the world.

It's over 30 years since I lived in the area so things might have changed but there was definitely an interest in football in those days; however, most people I knew were glory supporters of either Spurs or Arsenal.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster

Wimbledon sell out Plough Lane at the moment.

It is a football area, its just that like most boroughs of London people would rather watch Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Carshalton

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Only 2,484 at their game on Tuesday - amazingly 251 of them from Hartlepool.
That's just the London factor. I've no doubt a fairly hefty proportion of that 251 would be London-based.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sutton currently are 16th in a league of average attendances https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-two/attendances;jsessionid=DA74E5715C04C1EAD309F31E736AA96B admittedly on the back of only two matches and some of that has to be down to curiosity factor, however they are ahead of FGR Salford and Harrogate to name but three as well as old EFL stalwarts Scunthorpe Colchester and Rochdale.

We are 10th BTW

From the table whilst Bradford are standouts on the attendance, as we found out from our Bradford correspondent at the time it's a lot cheaper to watch football oop North than in t' westcountry, would be interesting to see how it all translates into income through the gates and where the best pricing level sits.

Last edited:

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Although Sutton is now a regular London Borough, it was until relatively recently a genteel place with Cheam, Banstead and Epsom close by. The support is at best encouraging in a downbeat sort of way..You will hear chants not heard since the seventies with clapping to accompany...The club is run by committee and the members of the committee still wear blazers with club tie and club crest on the pockets...Bradford, it ain't..

Wimbledon sell out Plough Lane at the moment.

It is a football area, its just that like most boroughs of London people would rather watch Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Carshalton

.......or Bromley or Palace.