• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v West Ham U21's - EFL Trophy, Match Day Thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
West Ham report not quite accurate. It was Randall who hit the post on the second occasion and Bowman who set up Randall for the third. Seymour had already been substituted by then.
Ok then. But Sparkes did play well, right?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Highlights

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
West Ham report not quite accurate. It was Randall who hit the post on the second occasion and Bowman who set up Randall for the third. Seymour had already been substituted by then.
Speaking of accuracy the Beeb are accrediting our third to Nathan Tillson.

andrew p long

I would be interested in views of those who saw the game, particularly about our out on loan youngsters, playing in a side with some really experienced professionals.

Will they soon be ready for a first team squad place? Would each of the following be decent/adequate replacements in next seasons squad..

Joel Randall for Lee Holmes?

Alex Hartridge for Gary Warren and/or Craig Woodman?

Will Dean for Jordan Tillson?

Josh Key for Jayden Richardson?

Rosencrantz

Ok then. But Sparkes did play well, right?
He did 👍.

IndoMike

Good. I said before may we should keep Woodman at left back and use Sparkes and Williams down the wings. Attack wide rather than down the middle. We'd have to take someone out of central mid-field though.

Colesman Ballz

Good. I said before may we should keep Woodman at left back and use Sparkes and Williams down the wings. Attack wide rather than down the middle. We'd have to take someone out of central mid-field though.
So you keep on telling us Indo ! Lol.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster

Wouldn't this free up some cash for Ajose Xmas bonus next year.

Woody I feel will remain on the wage bill in a coaching role however

IndoMike

So you keep on telling us Indo ! Lol.
If you keep repeating something enough it sticks in the mind. I'm trying to brainwash Sir Matt, who is almost certainly an assiduous reader of da Exeweb 👍

Rosencrantz

I would be interested in views of those who saw the game, particularly about our out on loan youngsters, playing in a side with some really experienced professionals.

Will they soon be ready for a first team squad place? Would each of the following be decent/adequate replacements in next seasons squad..

Joel is improving fast and looks a quality attacking player who can play either side or through the middle. Physically he is looking stronger and these maligned FLT games along with the u23's are helping his development as well as his loan. I would have no reservations in Joel playing first team now, but there are players (Law, Martin, Williams, Sparkes, Jay) to compete with.

Alex would be more akin to Moxey in position as he is comfortable as a left back or left sided centre back in a back 4 or better in a 3. He is getting to an age now where he needs first team football so there might be a big decision to make in the summer. Very solid player though.

Will Dean for Tillson is pretty accurate and likely, although it will be interesting to see where Will's long term position will be. I think he is playing CM for Truro and doing well by all accounts. I would like his passing to be a bit better in that position whilst at CB he is very much JMT like in build and height. He played both positions last night with some authority though. Would not be surprised to see him as captain material in the future. Still very young as a first year pro.

Josh I think has benefitted from his loan at Tiverton playing men's football. I would like to see him back himself more at times and have a bit more confidence. I always think he looks more comfortable playing RW as when he plays RWB or RB he looks like he plays with a hand brake on as he is more worried about defensive responsibilities. It will be interesting to see which position he ends up in. He is a strong running player with good pace and good aerial ability. Could be a Wheeler type winger or Stacey type RB.

Also need to add Harry Kite and Jordan Dyer in who did not play last night. Dyer would very much be a replacement for Warren as a right sided CB. Another solid defender who has improved every time I have seen him play, growing in confidence and ability. Kite stood out for me in the Villa U23 game, he looked to have developed physically and is a good all round midfielder.

I think on ability and current form, Joel could be the one who breaks through next but it always depends on opportunity opening up as it did for Jordan Storey. They are a good bunch but law of averages tells you they probably won't all make it but I wouldn't be worried about any of them being in a first team game among the more experienced players. Having a larger more competitive budget actually slows down development and opportunity but I think Matt is maintaining a good balance with Archie, MJ, Sparkes and Seymour all playing an active part in the first team squad currently.