• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Walsall match day thread.

chunkymorrinmunter

Is it just me or are we giving away so many simple passes this year?
Cant blame the playing surface 🤨

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
The formation switch didn’t really change anything. We have a couple of issues, one is the inflexibility around Jay’s role… he may as well have not been on the pitch second half, Brown was poor but still better than our captain. I like MJ but he’s a very niche player and worry that the captaincy has made him undroppable.

RE: Caprice, not great today but I disagree about him being poor for our team in general - the away games in particular he’s contributed a lot.

Coppers

Harsh to say Sweeney was poor. I am not his biggest fan but thought he got the defence out of trouble several times.

denzel

Sometimes it seems MJ is untouchable and it wouldn't hurt not just take him off pens but take him off the pitch now and then.
I suspect he will be rested on Tuesday, with Podge coming in.
Whether that changes next Saturday is more important though.
Nombe is undroppable at the moment, and I would keep Brown; yes he was poor today but that's a rarity

Coppers

Not much to write home about, other than once again we seemed to play better with a back four rather than a back five. Sweeney poor, Jay poor, Brown poor, the rest average. The only high point was Nombe’s well taken goal. I was pleased when the final whistle eventually came.
Harsh on Sweeney, peach of a cross for the first goal and made a good few clearances and challenges at the back to keep out Walsall when they were on top for much of the first half, I guess he went off injured as did not do much wrong.

Hindsight and all that, but I'd like to have started the game with Archie, even knowing that he only had 60 mins or so in him.

At present he's a better player than Kite - my feeling is you start your best team and then look to change if things aren't working out.

Walsall well worth their point.

Red Devon

Not at it again for the last half hour of the first half with a couple of favourable decisions from the referee keeping us level at the break....much better in the second after changing to four at the back and the introduction of Collins with Key also getting forwards a lot more and causing problems for Walsall down the right, at 2:1 we finally began to look the better side and control the game a bit but Walsall were always dangerous on the break and deserved their point today..I wouldn’t be surprised to see changes for Stevenage now with Collins a cert and it’s probably the right time to bring in Daniel at LB and balance that side of the pitch up too.

Red Devon

Only positives for me were Nombe, and Archie in the second half.
And KMT agrees with me that MJ needs to be taken off pens.
Thought Walsall were very good though, certainly better than 22nd.
I hate all these draws but it could have been worse
KMT sounded a little hacked off talking to Radio Devon after the performance today, hinted strongly at changes coming.

Grecianpasty

MJ lost his head after that penalty miss. The change in formation didn't help him much either.

The only real positive was Collins having more game time. There was a huge difference in quality on the ball between him and Kite, who was pretty much non existent.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Strange game, quite frustrating. Some below par performances today particularly Jay and Brown had his worst game thus far, almost disinterested. Perhaps he didn't fancy it against the meat house team that was Walsall!

Caprice was okay but he's so blatantly right footed that it painful watching him cut back inside over and over again or fluff it using his left. I'm not sure why we haven't seen Daniel yet at LB.

Coley worked hard but his inexperience showed, he was like a rabbit in the headlights at times and kept looking to MT for instruction.

Good to see Collins back. Composed and always looking to move the ball forward and with purpose.

Sweeney was his usual self, one or two great things and one or two diabolical things.

Take MJ off penalties and give them to Nombe, he's our main man up front so let him bag a few more from the spot.

Where was Edwards-Owura? We needed him second half today.