• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Tranmere Rovers Official Matchday Thread

tonykellowfan

It's true that we are not suddenly a bad side and are clearly missing some players but Nombe and Dieng played at Colchester when we were dreadful . The last 4 games have been LDLL and we were not convincing in the two previous narrow home wins against bottom sides. It has recently looked more like 15-20 minutes not 15-20 games unbeaten

I don't think it's personnel as much as losing our way on formation and tactics as well as not matching opponents' cynicism that's the problem. Winning pretty is nice, and I'd like us to get promoted with attractive football and a great disciplinary record, but for me the winning bit is more important than the pretty part.
We weren't dreadful against Colchester we absolutely battered them. They had 3 shots in the whole game and only went into our penalty area something like 5 times in the whole game. At 2-1 we were right back in it and even had a goal disallowed for 2-2. They then mugged us for the third goal and that was just rank bad luck.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thank you. A received wisdom seems to have developed that a back 3 plus wingbacks ( aka a back 5) is what traditionally suits us.

The maths will tell you that having one more defender results in having one less attacker thus either weakening the midfield or obliging us to play with a lone striker. I know that comparisons with Prem teams can invite ridicule, but how many of the successful ones play like this? Look at Robertson and Alexander Arnold and see how far forward they get. They aren’t wing backs they're part of back four. The defence seems to function perfectly well with two central defenders and a robust midfield in front of them just as ours did when Matt Taylor played....
I only pointed out that we generally didn't play three at the back last season. We have rarely played any formation "traditionally" since 4-4-2 was the major blueprint for all clubs in the leagues.

I happen to think that we are more comfortable playing with three at the back this season, particularly when it comes to playing it out from the back. It suits our players, particularly Sweeney and Hartridge. It also allows you to get MJ, JB and Nombe into the side together playing in their more natural positions. It has certainly suited Tim Dieng in getting into the opposition box. It is not an inherently defensive formation if the wing backs push on which both Key and Caprice have done to decent effect this season.

As for converting Key to a winger, he was a winger at youth level. It is only when coming in to the senior game (at Tiverton first) and the the first team he has been "converted" to a RWB/RB. IMO, Josh's most unproductive attacking games for us has come when he has on occasion played right wing.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I only pointed out that we generally didn't play three at the back last season. We have rarely played any formation "traditionally" since 4-4-2 was the major blueprint for all clubs in the leagues.

I happen to think that we are more comfortable playing with three at the back this season, particularly when it comes to playing it out from the back. It suits our players, particularly Sweeney and Hartridge. It also allows you to get MJ, JB and Nombe into the side together playing in their more natural positions. It has certainly suited Tim Dieng in getting into the opposition box. It is not an inherently defensive formation if the wing backs push on which both Key and Caprice have done to decent effect this season.

As for converting Key to a winger, he was a winger at youth level. It is only when coming in to the senior game (at Tiverton first) and the the first team he has been "converted" to a RWB/RB. IMO, Josh's most unproductive attacking games for us has come when he has on occasion played right wing.
I think that Sparkes started out as a winger too.

Memphis09

Key right back… where he has been excellent for us for about a season and a half now…
Sorry don’t agree don’t think he has played that much at right back
Wing back yes
Right back no

Memphis09

No he hasn't. Last season he was playing really well at wing back as part of a back five. When he has had his decent spells this season it's been from wing back as part of a back five (and he has been nowhere as consistent as last season or as some on here will have you believe) but every time he has played at right back as part of a back four he has looked unsure defensively and limited as an attacking force.
That happen on Tuesday against Northampton when he went to full back we hardly created anything
He is definitely a wing back

Memphis09

Can’t agree he was poor on Saturday at full back much better when he plays forward
Gets caught out of position to much at full back

Memphis09

Watching the Northampton game on iFollow I found myself regularly shouting "where is Key" when they were constantly attacking down that side and there were large gaps in the defence in that corner. On Saturday, again the Tranmere goal came from a free man on the left of the area while Key had left him. I love Josh Key and think he is undoubtedly one of our most dangerous attacking options, but I'm not all sure of his defensive ability - although he is young and that can improve.
Spot on

Memphis09

He might be converted to a winger. Plays better as a wing back and I agree about his defensive weaknesses. Was AWOL for the Tranny goal.
Agree although if you watch the replay Hartridges header was very poor

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Updating a post I added on the Carlisle MDT

Name the teams in the current top half of the table that we've beaten...

FGR - drawn at home
Northampton - lost at home
Port Vale - yet to play (away 18th December)
Newport - drew at home
Sutton - won at home
Swindon - yet to play (home on Boxing Day)
Tranmere - lost at home
Orient - lost away
Harrogate - drew away
Mansfield - won at home
Walsall - drew at home

Like I said earlier, if we get to the New Year relatively unscathed it might sway me.
So of the nine top half teams we've played so far, we have won two, drawn four and lost three. Seven of those nine games have been at home.

IMO that's a mediocre record. Lose to Swindon and Port Vale and...

Memphis09

I think that Sparkes started out as a winger too.
He did and he is much better than Daniels who makes Graham Power look good lol 😆