• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Tranmere Rovers Official Matchday Thread

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Both Hartridge and Sweeney's injuries looked like they will be doubtful at least. I think Alex came down awkwardly after being hit in the air (no free kick given obvs) whilst Sweenz looks more like a contact injury after a 50/50 tackle.
2 late tackles by Tranny could have cost us the season

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not very good today. Matt Taylor made the first error before a ball was kicked by not playing Podge from the start. Whatever Jevani Brown is, he isn't a loan striker. That much was already proven against Bradford but just in case anybody wasn't sure it conclusively proven today. He made a second before a ball was kicked by playing with a flat back four. Every time we play with a flat back four we look uncomfortable as a whole unit. Then he made a third by playing 4-4-2 instead of 4-3-3, which to me was the obvious set up with the players chosen, and playing Kyle Taylor wide on the right. The lad is a central midfielder and looked so, so much better when he came inside when MT made some tactical changes during the second half. From there on in the first half was poor apart from the very odd occasion when we actually got the ball down and moved it quickly. The only problem at the end of that was there was nobody in the box to finish it off. Our leading scorer was usually nearer to the half way line than he was the back of the net and central striker was anywhere but the middle of the box.
The second half was a lot better when Taylor changed the shape of the side initially to the 4-3-3 that the line up screamed and then to the more preferred 3-5-2. The introduction of Jake Caprice gave us a much needed boost and resorting to 3-5-2 got more out of Josh Key. Kyle Taylor gave us more drive in the middle of the park but sadly Podge's introduction was left far too late to make an impact.
Then there was the side show that was Bobby 'look at me' Madley. From the first whistle to the last the bloke was a joke. How many decisions did he get wrong? And they weren't just little decisions like the free kick for the most overacted dive I've seen for a very long time after two minutes, they were not booking the number twelve for the rugby tackle on Josh Key which ultimately, with the yellow he did get later, would have seen him sent off. Doing nothing about the fore arm smash that left Kyle Taylor in a heap, a straight red. Or the push to the back of George Ray's head which he only booked the player (twelve again iirc) instead of sending him off. The late challenge, at least that's what it looked like to me, that left Alex Hartridge ankle in such a crumpled mess that he was forced off injured. What the f**k is going on in the referee's appointments department at the FA? First the Bradford farce, then the clown at Cambridge and now Madley!!!! Have they just decided to send every Grade A muppet our way? At this rate we're sure to get Fat Fuxtable for the Swindon game.
Maybe we are being bullied by FA for having the audacity to question their refereeing decisions which look like ruining our season ?

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
First half we made too many simple errors with passing and clearing our lines and caused our own problems leading to the soft goal. We really are more comfortable playing the ball out with a back three and Key and Caprice pushed forward able to link up with MJ and JB with the midfield in support.

Second half we huffed and puffed but it was too frantic around the penalty area and any shots were more snatched at than hit with much conviction. We did actually get some decent service into the box at times and this is where we miss Dieng more than anyone. His ability to be effective in both boxes is missed as is Big Nige's physicality as an option to call on.

Otherwise it was the Bobby Madley Show as he refereed with an arrogance and arbitrary manner. The red card was the only thing he could produce for that "tackle". Taylor was lucky to escape without serious injury. Little else went our way from him. And no, six minutes added on isn't good enough for the time wasting. Teams are happy with that as long as they are allowed to break up the play with no consequence.
Good summary Rosey. (y)

According to the stats, we had just the one shot on target which must have been the Matt Jay piledriver near the end which was unfortunately straight at the keeper.

As you say it was all very frantic in the Tranny box in the second half but no end product resulted. In contrast, matey who scored their goal had time to light up a fag, comb his hair and admire himself in the mirror before tucking it away. Completely unmarked.

We looked miles better when the substitutions were made but Amond was introduced much too late.

Hard to believe “look at me I’m Bobby Madley” was once a PL ref. What a strutting poseur. Lino on the SASS side must have seen a lot of the niggly fouls, holding and shirt tugging but seemed more interested in looking at his watch.

A most disappointing day.

grecIAN Harris

The most ridiculous of the Madley **** ups was when he seemed to be indicating the City players that he couldn't go back and book the twelve after his rugby tackle on Key because he let play go on.:unsure::rolleyes:😤

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Everytime the ball went out for a goal kick the ref was surrounded by Tranny players to distract him from noticing how long the goalie was taking.
We have lost 2 defenders to late tackles which could cost us our season.
Hope Matt T marks ref accordingly but another "We are sorry" letter from FA is not good enough.

arthur

As far as I can recall there were no offsides in the entire game. Is this correct? How often does this happen?

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
-----------

Grecian Max

Really poor today and I’m starting to find myself back in May again where I’m thinking is Taylor the man to do this. Limited tactically and we don’t grab points in moments where we need to to get that top 3.

Embarrassingly little created today

fred binneys head

I’ve not read the thread because I was there, but my summary is:

- Jevani is a talent but he’s not a striker
- Why did amond not play? We were crying out for a striker
- The referee was a ****
- Colin Daniel didn’t impress me one bit
- We dominated possession but hardly threatened them
- That said, if we had scored in the first half (when we had the pinball in their box) I think we’d have won it
- Sooooo frustrating, I’m worried about December, can’t see us getting anything from Vale, Swindon or Forest Green

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
How we didnt score I just do not know but i dont think we could have pummeled Tranny any more than we did. Credit to them for their last ditch defending.
We were much better in the second half and I don't think we deserved to lose, but can't agree with the above. As far as I can recall, their keeper was only forced to make one save of any note [from MJ]. We had lots of good play around the box but our final ball is lacking. As for our corners – don't get me started.