• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Shrewsbury Town. Matchday Thread.

Melvis

Yes. It is someone else’s job. Obviously. It certainly ain’t the paying customer.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
The ground is open from 0800 on match days and ECFC can provide you with soapy water and a cloth/ brush it shouldn't take you too long to wash all the SASS seats, oh sorry that's 'someone else's job' not yours!
Don't be daft ! He is the one who is paying for the privilege of sitting in the seat, so frankly the Club as the vendor should be sorting it. When the Trust took over it was a problem with pigeons in the OGS, and steps were taken. It is stupid that the problem was not "designed out" in the SASS by the Architects and the Club should have included the requirement in the brief that was given to them. Spikes are non PC these days but netting could be used.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Caldwell's tactics sometimes are bizarre! I think he tries to be too clever. Our best midfield at right back, Grounds as left back while Caprice, Sweeney and Sparkes are on the bench is ridiculous. I can see why he keeps getting sacked!
Jesus wept what's wrong with some of you people. Grounds barely put a foot wrong all game, Sparkes showed a serious lack of team ethics and poor discipline when he reacted like a child when he got subbed in the last home game, and Caprice has played pretty much every game since GC took over and with 3 games in a week its no surprise he's on the bench. Sweeney can feel a bit unlucky to not be playing but the defence were solid tonight, in fact the whole team were solid.

We tried to move the ball quickly contrary to comments above but Shrewsbury were very well organised and its not always possible to play a through ball for a forward to chase, if it was as easy as that then teams would continuously create chances. Sometimes you have to go sideways or backwards but on the whole we tried to play with energy and get forward. The passing was crisp and the movement good. Yes Archie gave the ball away a few times but guess what he's human and his form has dropped recently. I'm really not sure what some people are expecting from us. We play in L1 for good reason. Mistakes are made, sometimes individual performances are off, but anyone who knows anything about the game could see from this evenings performance that we are a good solid and organised team who try to play attacking football and I think we're very close to being a really good side.

STURTZ

Thought it was a good game, defences were on top though, we no longer have that composure and ability to put through that killer pass or find space in the danger area, they were wasteful and well marshalled by Aimson, Hartridge and McDonald who is absolute quality.
Few shots, think the only save of note was their keeper with an amazing stop from a Hartridge header.
No complaints from me about the line up but we are too lightweight up top, Stanno worked hard but had little penetration, same with Key, Joe looked like a little boy lost and did Smith actually play? All he did was fold whenever he was challenged. Nombe didn't have long out there but never looked like breaking the deadlock.
Key and Mitchell were pretty good up the flanks but were fairly easily contained by a well disciplined Shrews defence.
I don't often complain about refs but I thought tonight's official was completely schizer and never gave us anything.
MotM McDonald, all that we ever wanted from a defensive midfielder, the kind of player that Harper could only dream of being.

Last edited:

Rosencrantz

Tonight we probably saw a step on for what GC wants the team to do and style of play. You have to expect that it is going to take some time for our established players to adapt to a different way of playing and the new players to fit in and gain their match fitness. I think the move that summed up what is being attempted is the one where Marosi had to make a good save from McDonald in the first half. Patient play to begin with but then three or four forward passes where space opened up cut Shrewsbury open and created a lot of space for McDonald to shoot.

What was missing at times tonight was execution, with misplaced passes and poor control, particularly down the right. Josh and Archie, as has been pointed out, didn't have their best games. I don't think Josh has the technical ability to play that high up and is more dangerous coming from deep at pace. You need a winger more akin to Joel Randall with quick feet and a danger around the penalty area. Mitchell showed some promise of this. Ironically I think Jack Sparkes would be better in that more forward role.

Playing that style, McDonald is going to be a key player and showed tonight his quality and experience. I'd be interested to know whether tonight was a bit of a horses for courses selection with a 4-1-4-1 against a 3-5-2, particularly with Grounds tucking into midfield from his left back position when we were in possession. With Mitchell and Key pushed on out wide it became a 5-3-2 for them, especially in the second half when they sat more deep and seemed happy with a point.

Along with McDonald, I thought Aimson was very good tonight. We were told he was dodgy on the ball but that didn't seem evident tonight. I think he has settled in very well despite other views.

This style of football isn't going to be to everyone's taste, it wasn't under Tisdale. Even at our best under Tis with Harley in his pomp and double promotion and onto eighth in L1, there was always a feeling that it was being tolerated by some as the results were there. As it is going to be a period of adaption followed by a possible summer of upheaval in playing staff, patience will undoubtedly ware thin in some quarters if results do not quickly follow. But if we are to compete and move on at L1 level, we need to adapt to a higher quality and be more ambitious in our play. It feels like a crossroads and we are waiting to see which direction it leads.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
No complaints from me about the line up but we are too lightweight up top, Stanno worked hard but had little penetration, same with Key, Joe looked like a little boy lost and did Smith actually play?
In answer to your question, no, Smith didn't play. Do you mean Scott?!

Devonboy

Yes. It is someone else’s job. Obviously. It certainly ain’t the paying customer.
Enough about crap on the seats. Let's talk about crap on the pitch!

fred binneys head

I’m with Snoop, I thought we played well against a decent side. Other than the time they hit the bar we looked solid at the back and, whilst we didn’t have loads of chances, we passed the ball well and created a few opportunities. I was happy with the performance and happy with the point. Anyone abusing Archie (or any player for that matter) is a tosser.

tonykellowfan

My view of the game was that while we had the lion's share of the possession, Shrewsbury had the better chances.

We scored 4 goals in 4 games in January (3 conceded) and now 1 goal in 3 games in February (3 conceded).

GC seems to be packing the midfield to protect the defence, but this comes at the cost of far fewer chances up top.

Of the new player, McDonald is class, Aimson is quality and Mitchell is clearly a good player who will get better as he gets fitter. White did some good things yesterday, he looks a bit raw, I would prefer to see him off the bench rather than starting.

Kite I thought had a poor game, although he was playing out of position.

Grecianman135

If that's Caldwells style of play then I've seen enough already. Slow, no tempo passing it for passing sake. Any half decent team is back in shape as we go sideways and back.

Nombe not getting on until 81st minute. Key playing 4 separate positions in one game. Bringing on two subs with a minute left.

The while approach is bereft of any aggression and is extremely boring and predictable to watch.
Sideways and back ways passing?? sounds like a Tisdale flashback... 🙈