• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Shrewsbury Town. Matchday Thread.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I’m not sure I want to see the same line up next game, but I certainly think we need some stability.

Plan for life without Jev, whichever way he pleads on Thursday he won’t be available for the foreseeable imo. GC was no stranger to dropping him anyway, so it’s weird how reliant we seem on his creativity now.
Someone rightly produced the stat that we haven't won a single league game without Jevani starting

andrew p long

Is there a reason Sam Nombe isn’t playing that I’ve missed?

The lad Scott who came on didn’t have a kick.
Its 3 games in a week and I suspect the decision last night was based on that. Sam started on Saturday and I expect him to start this Saturday. Others have explained that Sam being stuck on the bench in most of December was due to illness.

On Scott, he didn't look fit (he's not played for months) On last night's (non) performance he looks like a project for next month (or possibly next season!)

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Its 3 games in a week and I suspect the decision last night was based on that. Sam started on Saturday and I expect him to start this Saturday. Others have explained that Sam being stuck on the bench in most of December was due to illness.

On Scott, he didn't look fit (he's not played for months) On last night's (non) performance he looks like a project for next month (or possibly next season!)
WE haven't seen enough of Scott to really judge thus far. I think he has been signed with next season in mind more and to assist with backing up the side this season.

Bridgy 81

Gary talks a lot about the process and making progress and it being clear what we're trying to do.
I'm not being facetious but can anyone explain to me what that is?
I know Matt said he wanted to create a running team and I suppose you could see that in some of the squads he created and teams he set up.
I don't recall ever hearing or reading explicitly what Gary is after.
My assumption from my own observations is that he's aiming for us to be more possession based and in that way better able to dictate and control games i.e. patiently working on creating attacking opportunities and keeping it tight defensively by essentially retaining the ball more effectively and for longer.
Am I on the right lines?

Bat Fastard

Not seen the game last night but recent team selections makes me think caldwells not got a clue how he wants the team to set up - our attacking threat has faded badly. Losing jevani hasn’t helped obviously but changing the line up every game doesn’t allow the players to develop any understanding. Also key shouldn’t be playing that far up the pitch, it’s pretty obvious

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
We are unrecognisable from the side that started the season - I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing. We are clearly a work in progress, we have a lot of new players all trying to bed in and in some cases gain full match fitness.

Last night appeared to be 4-1-4-1 and like everyone else I was puzzled by the team selection however we did control large parts of the game despite not really creating any clear openings.

I really like Kevin McDonald, he controlled the midfield last night and you can see he's played at a high level.

The positive I take is that at least GC is tinkering now when we should realistically be safe rather than trying to introduce a new style early next season - hopefully we can survive relatively comfortably and hit the ground running next season playing how GC wants us to play from the off.

Antony Moxey

Took my little boy for the first ever time this evening and sat in the stagecoach stand , £42 I will never see again 😂 but he loved it so it was worth it.

Was impressed with the stagecoach stand the facilities and it was perfect for him 👍
Creds, how old is your boy now?

andrew p long

Took my little boy for the first ever time this evening and sat in the stagecoach stand , £42 I will never see again 😂 but he loved it so it was worth it.

Was impressed with the stagecoach stand the facilities and it was perfect for him 👍
In the long term this may turn out to be one of the most important results of the evening...

C j phill

What a ridiculous response! If you stayed in a hotel and the toilet was filthy, would you entertain the idea of cleaning it yourself?!
Spot on.....its the Club's responsibility to sort it out. I had a seat in that part of the stand for the Swindon home game last season and thought the bird mess situation was horrendous. I assumed that the Club backroom staff would be aware of the issue and sort it out, but clearly that hasn't happened, which is both surprising and disappointing.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Club should have cleaned it up. We pay enough for the seat.
Agree. If you went to the theatre should you take a bucket and sponge in case there is shit on the seat?

I'm all for fans doing their bit but that does take the mick.