• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Sheffield Wednesday Matchday Thread

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
He said “outplayed”, it’s a typo on the tweet.
I'll let him off then

fred binneys head

I'll let him off then
I’ll let him know.

ChardGrecian

Ref cost us the game giving free kicks to them all game but not doing same for us. Then after he didn’t make Bannon and thier other player leave the pitch early in the game, gave them second chance at end by forcing Josh off.
Think we did just enough for three points though not causing enough problems in their box. Real shame we di not get clean sheet would have been great for the fence.
Certainly held our own against another league heavyweight

Alistair20000

Should Stockdale have done better with Jake’s goal ?

After it he was decidedly dodgy for the rest of the game.

denzel

Should Stockdale have done better with Jake’s goal ?

After it he was decidedly dodgy for the rest of the game.
Yes. Clearly should have been saved.

Rosencrantz

Bit of a sickener at the end of a decent performance, particularly the second half. Bannon going off certainly upset them as they had been the better side up to that point. Jamal made a couple of good saves. City got stronger as the half went on and then certainly had the best of the second half. We closed down better and stopped Wednesday playing out giving us more possession and much more territory.

Kegs did well on his full league debut and provided the energy we would have missed with Kite being out. Key looked happier at wing back. The back three looked more solid until right at the end when we get caught by a long ball and decent finish.

The ref was inconsistent in his decisions between the two teams to say the least. It was bizarre that the Wednesday players were not asked to go off after treatment but Key was in injury time. We picked up yellow cards for pulling back players, rightly for Brown and Dieng but then Dieng got pulled back to stop a counter attack after a poor Stockdale clearance and no yellow card.

The good thing about the last two games is the performances. If we keep up that level of performance, wins will follow.

AndyR

Was really impressed with City today. Thought the first half was fairly even, perhaps shaded by Wednesday who could have gone in front but for a couple of saves by Blackman but we absolutely battered them in the second half. Pretty much everybody was great but in particular Kegs (my MOTM), Josh and Jake were outstanding. What was most noticeable to me though was how fit we looked, we hassled them from start to finish and ran after everything.

Hugely disappointing and undeserved that they equalised at the end but a very, very encouraging performance from City against one of the best sides in the Division.

Thought I’d better show my face and say sorry…..we’ve absolutely mugged you today. That was a standard performance under Moore who’s mindset is best shown by our right back position. Basically we’ve got a few injuries at CB and the only 2 we have for are McGuiness (on loan from Cardiff and one of our better players today) and Iorfa (no.6) who we loved when he first signed but has fell off a cliff since coming back from injury.

so whilst picking him, Moore doesn’t trust him and plays him at RB, bringing Palmer (no.2) who is close to our player of the season in to CB. Problem is that Palmer is closed to player of the season because of the attacking output he gives us, so we instantly lose that….which Moore knows, hence the switch once we go 1 down…..We are supposed to be one of the better teams in the division, just bloody attack and let the defence do what they can, but no, it’s more important to him that we are tight at the back then show a threat up front. Once Bannan went off we were stuffed.

For you Sparkes and Stansfield looked good and a threat all afternoon……also the number 5 (Hartridge was it) looked decent coming out from the back.

I wouldn’t rule out top 6 for you and you definitely won’t come anywhere near relegation

hope you all got home safe

cheers

Alistair20000

Thought I’d better show my face and say sorry…..we’ve absolutely mugged you today. That was a standard performance under Moore who’s mindset is best shown by our right back position. Basically we’ve got a few injuries at CB and the only 2 we have for are McGuiness (on loan from Cardiff and one of our better players today) and Iorfa (no.6) who we loved when he first signed but has fell off a cliff since coming back from injury.

so whilst picking him, Moore doesn’t trust him and plays him at RB, bringing Palmer (no.2) who is close to our player of the season in to CB. Problem is that Palmer is closed to player of the season because of the attacking output he gives us, so we instantly lose that….which Moore knows, hence the switch once we go 1 down…..We are supposed to be one of the better teams in the division, just bloody attack and let the defence do what they can, but no, it’s more important to him that we are tight at the back then show a threat up front. Once Bannan went off we were stuffed.

For you Sparkes and Stansfield looked good and a threat all afternoon……also the number 5 (Hartridge was it) looked decent coming out from the back.

I wouldn’t rule out top 6 for you and you definitely won’t come anywhere near relegation

hope you all got home safe

cheers
No Sparks for us today but your comments much appreciated.

No Sparks for us today but your comments much appreciated.
Sorry, meant Caprice