• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Sheffield Wednesday FA Cup 3rd round proper matchday thread

Red Bill

Assume from that it wouldn't be a problem for you if the players criticised the manager publicly ? After all, a rookie manager who hasn't won anything YET could also be considered 'nothing special'. Only the self-proclaimed 'special one' criticises a player publicly, the overwhelming majority of managers don't, as you well know, and for very good reason.
[/QUOT
If they were criticising him for their own poor efforts I'm not sure I could justify that. Presumably you also feel its wrong to praise openly praise players then? MT has been hugely supportive of Bowman when he was being justifiably IMO criticised by many, I think that gives hime the right to say what is clearly evident to fans when he believes that player isn't providing what MT has praised him for previously. If you're happy to take the smooth you should be willing to take the rough.
MT has done a lot right and he\s also made several mistakes. As with anyone involved in lower league football, I will accept inadequacies, but I won't accept lack of effort, Matt's honesty shows a respect for the people who ultimately pay their wages that carries a lot of weight with me. When young people are earning what they earn despite being nowhere near the top of their profession, IMO they can ****ing well learn to suck up a bit of justified criticism. You don't even know if those players were upset by Matt's comments, you're just assuming they were, presumably based on what a bunch of entitled, snowflake prima donnas we seem to have reared in the last 30 years. Maybe they're a bit more robust than you're giving them credit for!

suffolklad

Takes 10 seconds to find overly pro-Tisdale posts on your profile
And your point is?

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just seen the highlights. There were three good openings for us.
Matt Jay took the wrong option for me, he should have gone with his left foot only the volley rather than trying to stoop and get his head there. He's technically decent with both feet but not known for his heading.
Ryan Bowman needed to be able to take a touch but I'm not sure he would have had time. He certainly was never going to score with the attempt he had as the ball was between his feet and he was never going to get the purchase on the ball to create the power to cause the keeper problems.
Nicky Law was the reverse of Matt Jay, he should have gone with his head rather than his foot.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
And what about Mc Carthorse's header or bundle from Key's flick on - four good opportunitites

C j phill

Bill Shankly was an honest manager, as is Matt Taylor.
In terms of Matt's honesty, I'll be very interested to hear his very clear comments about why Ajose wasnt the success he was expecting him to be, when he signed him.

grecIAN Harris

And what about Mc Carthorse's header or bundle from Key's flick on - four good opportunitites
I didn't think that was ever going to go in the way it came at McArdle. He was only ever going to do well to get it back on target never mind in.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
One thing that irritates me on this forum is people not addressing a point that has been made by another poster and instead referring to the poster in a personal way to somehow invalidate anything they say. Just respond to the point they make on its own merit. I don't agree with it, but there is actually plenty of rationale to say that managers shouldn't criticise their players in the way MT did yesterday. It feels like people responding to it have tried to "win" the argument (can't we just discuss something for once without all this testosterone flying around?) by pointing out that the person has sympathies with Tisdale therefore they can't be right. I actually agree with people who said the criticism is ok, but I also think the people arguing against it could be right if we don't get results because what happens when you don't get the results is the players you have criticised do not go with you in your hour of need. Imagine if when Tis had been bottom of the league his players hadn't felt valued by him? They actually did, and they proved him right that season too in the end. So it's a calculated risk on the part of MT which I think could pay off. I actually think the players are very happy with him and see him as honest and forthright and will give him a great response on Tuesday and the rest of the season but I can see the point of those with another opinion. Is that so hard to do?

Grecian Max

And your point is?
What you think?

STURTZ

I don't hold with the "they're Championship and we're just league 2" argument. So what? Cup runs rely on teams playing above themselves, something we used to do on a regular basis up until the Man U replay IMO and since have consistantly failed at. We still have it at youth level but our first eleven don't have the do or die attitude that we had when we were a genuine cup side. Crawley may be below us in the league and Leeds are premiership but they were well beaten by the league 2 outfit, they say the cup's a great leveller but not seemingly in our case.

Pobbop

One thing that irritates me on this forum is people not addressing a point that has been made by another poster and instead referring to the poster in a personal way to somehow invalidate anything they say. Just respond to the point they make on its own merit. I don't agree with it, but there is actually plenty of rationale to say that managers shouldn't criticise their players in the way MT did yesterday. It feels like people responding to it have tried to "win" the argument (can't we just discuss something for once without all this testosterone flying around?) by pointing out that the person has sympathies with Tisdale therefore they can't be right. I actually agree with people who said the criticism is ok, but I also think the people arguing against it could be right if we don't get results because what happens when you don't get the results is the players you have criticised do not go with you in your hour of need. Imagine if when Tis had been bottom of the league his players hadn't felt valued by him? They actually did, and they proved him right that season too in the end. So it's a calculated risk on the part of MT which I think could pay off. I actually think the players are very happy with him and see him as honest and forthright and will give him a great response on Tuesday and the rest of the season but I can see the point of those with another opinion. Is that so hard to do?
There is an obsession with 2 posters about the previous manager, as you can see by that pointless brizzle rovers thread, and there many posts in it, personally not interested, I supported him when he was manager and support the current manager, not that I can't be majorly unhappy about the odd performance, as I have been probably with every manager I can remember.

I wasn't happy yesterday, but we move on with the best man for the job, and am glad he wasn't happy with the performance too.